®
Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
The Other miniBB Support Forums / The Other /  

Mouse Wheel Doesn't Work - Solved

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#1 | Posted: 10 Jul 2014 16:43 
Today I had experience of a very negative emotion, when suddenly the scrolling wheel of my mouse stopped to work. In no way it has been related to miniBB, or otherwise. I could be sure miniBB couldn't affect your mouse wheel to stop working :) It's the description of a generic issue with a mouse.

So, I own a Logitech mouse, I've used it for years and got very tied to it. And mouse wheel is probably the invention of most comfort I ever experienced with a computer mouse, besides of the left-right button interface.

I understood this loss makes my further work very ineffective and it would took more longer time, than if I worked with the wheel.

Searching the Internet didn't give much of result. Most recommendations are about changing mouse properties under the Control Panel -> Mouse on Windows, incl. the Scrolling tab change. This didn't help. Then I've thought it could be a physical damage of the mouse because of a wrong touch or something.

I decided then to plug off the mouse's cord, screw off the back panel of the mouse, which is very easy and just needs to find the proper screwdriver. I've used this mouse for years with no problem, and only cleaned its ball from time to time, because the interface allows to do it simply and quickly. Now imagine what I discovered inside of the mouse (click the picture to enlarge):

Computer Mouse from inside

Wow! Kind of someone's pubes were there. I've used a safety match to clean all the shit up, and then discovered the dirt was the reason of a small spring fallen down from its borders. It should look like this in final; I was having the end #2 stuck down:

Computer Mouse - a little spring fixing the wheel

If you have the same (I'm mostly sure all wheel-based mouses have something similar), put it back and fix carefully. That the thing, which fixes the sensor of the wheel. If the spring falls down, the wheel will still rotate and even could be pushed down, but it will not fix the scrolling points.

Finally, this was the delicious cocktail I've got from the mouse up:

Computer Mouse - the dirt inside collected for years

Now touching it I'm getting the feeling of touching the fresh and dry pussy. Ready for the next years to work :)
Hopefully that helps somebody in solving the similar problem.

Author tom322
#2 | Posted: 10 Jul 2014 17:55 
BEFORE: mouse. AFTER: cat. : )

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#3 | Posted: 10 Jul 2014 19:37 
:) lol
Do you mean the classics? ;)

Author tom322
#4 | Posted: 10 Jul 2014 20:00 
Maybe both ;). Also, I'm impressed you could use one mouse for years - I have to replace mine every year (max). And I can confirm Logitech (and Microsoft) are my favorite ones too.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#5 | Posted: 10 Jul 2014 20:57 
It's Logitech M-S48a. The good old mouse with a cord, not wireless. As I remember, I'm using it since 2004 with no major issues, it's very comfortable and reliable.

I suppose, something modern and wireless is just NOT the same quality, as it was earlier... because, nowadays you should buy the new mouse each year, else the computer accessories producers would go bankrupt ;)

The same about mostly all other things I wrote before...

Author tom322
#6 | Posted: 10 Jul 2014 21:30 
Paul:
something modern and wireless
I use wireless these days indeed and now I realize yet a few years ago one good cord mouse was enough for 2-4 years.. not to mention the need to replace batteries every 2-3 months on a wireless one..

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#7 | Posted: 10 Jul 2014 23:58 
Sorry, I never used wireless mouse so far... wondering to know it needs batteries :) Not my choice, definitely. As long as the M-S48a works, at least this is a problem I must *not* taking care about. It just works... each time when I'm turning on the PC. I have enough questions to handle besides of the batteries change.

Seeing more and more newer new devices coming up around, I might agree most of them need an electricity food in a few days. It shows the "mobile" side on one hand, on another hand, if there would be at least 10 devices to support life, I would expect this could be a real problem: the life turns into nursing devices. OMG.

The Other miniBB Support Forums / The Other /
 Mouse Wheel Doesn't Work - Solved
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Try the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑