®
Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
Specific miniBB Support Forums / Specific /  

Editing Profile note when changing the Password

Author Bluesplayer
Partaker
#1 | Posted: 27 Jan 2014 14:34 
When a user is attempting to alter their profile it is failing to accept their password. If they enter the password 2x - as if they are altering their password - it then works but causes confusion owing to the warning about having to log back in and so on. It appears the top password box isn't working as it should. What could be wrong?

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#2 | Posted: 28 Jan 2014 02:04 
What do you mean by "alter their profile"? MiniBB doesn't support profile altering operations.

Author Bluesplayer
Partaker
#3 | Posted: 28 Jan 2014 12:11 
Paul:
What do you mean by "alter their profile"? MiniBB doesn't support profile altering operations.
When they attempt to update their profile - say change their email address or something. You should only have to enter the password once, apparently, in the top password box but this isn't working as it appears to ignore it.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#4 | Posted: 28 Jan 2014 19:58 
Sorry, I am still not sure what do you mean.

For updating the Profile, you just need to be logged in at first.
Then go to the Profile and change any field except the Password field and the Password repetition field. They are not required to fill in when updating the regular info. As it's written by default, "Fill in only if you change your password", that means, these fields are required to fill in only when the Password is changed itself.

Does it confuse? Anything should be improved because of that? Let me know.

Author Bluesplayer
Partaker
#5 | Posted: 28 Jan 2014 20:17 
Paul:
Does it confuse? Anything should be improved because of that? Let me know.
Well it has confused myself and another user. I have altered the language file now ...

Profile Editing - Password Note

Another bit of confusion was to do with editing. The user didn't know how to apply the edit. All I did then was to again alter the language file so that the edit button then read 'Apply Edit'.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#6 | Posted: 28 Jan 2014 21:54 
Well... I think adding just what is filled under $l_onlyIfChangePwd would be enough, 'cause it's the same meaning... and not sure why would you need to change the button. In default version it says "Edit Profile" so we can't be responsible for all users who are not able to read what's written... ;)

I'll update the confusing Password part in the next miniBB, not a difficult story, thanks

Author Bluesplayer
Partaker
#7 | Posted: 28 Jan 2014 22:29 
Well I didn't get very far with that. It appears the browser autofill is causing the problem. On loading the profile page the password box is being filled in automatically - row of dots. This is causing any update to fail as they are leaving the password in. This is what I have done to correct this.

Ditched altering the language file as that was causing a problem with the login form.
Altered the user_databform.html file - password part to read like this ...

<!--PASSWORD-->
<tr>
<td class="tbClCp"> <b>{$l_sub_pass}</b><br><b><i><span class="txtSm">(Fill in only if you <br>change your password)</span></i></b></td>
<td class="caption5"><input type="password" name="passwd" maxlength="32" size="20" value="" class="textForm" style="width:200px;" autocomplete="off" /></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="tbClCp"><em> <b>{$l_passOnceAgain}</b></em></td>
<td class="caption5"><input type="password" name="passwd2" maxlength="32" size="20" value="{$passwd2}" class="textForm" style="width:200px;" /></td>
</tr>
<!--/PASSWORD-->
If you notice I have added autocomplete="off" to the password input. This stops the browsers adding a stored password. I have also removed the madatory asterix from both the Password and Repeat Password text. There is warning text now too below the bold Password text.

Just tried it out on the person that is having problems and she seems to be ok now.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#8 | Posted: 28 Jan 2014 22:54 
Thanks!
I'll keep this all in mind when working out the next release.

Specific miniBB Support Forums / Specific /
 Editing Profile note when changing the Password
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Get the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑