®
Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
Specific miniBB Support Forums / Specific /  

How to eliminate registrations?

Author JohnSims
Partaker
#1 | Posted: 10 Sep 2013 22:05 
I am tired of dealing with constant registrations and posts by Chinese Spammers. Nothing works as far as trying to stop them, and I waste an extraordinary amount of time dealing with it. How can I eliminate all registrations and also provide an automated message that they must contact me via email, and I will register them on the BBS and do it for them? Thank you!

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#2 | Posted: 10 Sep 2013 22:26 
Right these days I am working out the approach, which should help to stop automated registrations. Intermediate miniBB release should follow next week. You already could check the first implementation under your profile.

The approach is quite simple, I was suggesting it earlier, based on the suggestion from a customer with the similar trouble. The core idea in it, is that ALL spammers want Website field filled in, despite they don't even understand, that it is not clickable for Guests and not indexed by SEs; so we should disable this field on registrations and enable it only for those having more than X useful postings.

FOR YOUR CASE.
Edit setup_options.php -> set

$enableNewRegistrations=FALSE;
this will disable registrations. Still, if you are logged in as Admin, you can open the registration URL i.e. index.php?action=registernew (the visible link will be hidden) and create an account like it would be registered by a regular user.

Further is up to you. Create a new topic, or edit some template, to explain where's what.

And... Please, don't forget to check for a new update in the next days.

Author JohnSims
Partaker
#3 | Posted: 11 Sep 2013 01:05 
Thanks Paul. I need to upgrade anyway but have no time. Thanks for all you do!

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#4 | Posted: 11 Sep 2013 15:43 
I hope you also have Captcha module installed... in many cases, it truly helps.

Author JohnSims
Partaker
#5 | Posted: 11 Sep 2013 16:03 
Yes I do, and I also implemented the captcha for viewing the forum for the first time, or doing anything else. I don't recall the command, but it seems to have worked for now. Looking forward to your update!

homesteadpropertyexemption dot info

Specific miniBB Support Forums / Specific /
 How to eliminate registrations?
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Get the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑