| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
Specific miniBB Support Forums / Specific /  

How to change of alert message?

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2

Author Guest
~
#16 | Posted: 27 Aug 2013 00:17 
cleargoal:
I have seen an alert() used so many times that I can't even imagine another method to notify
A div in the form with an id and then using innerHTML to update the content of the div with the error message has been the standard way of producing error messages on forms for the last eight or so years. That's why browsers repurposed alert as it was only necessary for displaying messages in Netscape 4 and earlier browsers and more modern browsers such as Internet Explorer five provided a cleaner way to do it.

Author cleargoal
Partaker
#17 | Posted: 27 Aug 2013 07:58 
That's OK, I agree.
So, maybe, if miniBB team enjoy with this solution they may provide it in future version

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#18 | Posted: 27 Aug 2013 12:57 
felgall:
The authors of this script have been really slack in not removing those calls before allowing their script to go live.
We have made alerts the part of miniBB's interface. It's the simplest approach to report user something. It comes in a modal window and can't be just closed, and it doesn't require jQuery or similar libraries, which size is bigger than miniBB's package. It just few bytes of code, so we're happy to live with it. It's truly visible. The approach you mention above (div/innerHTML) is not that visible and can be simply ignored.

felgall:
In some browsers it offers the person viewing the page the opportunity to turn JavaScript off.
Are you coming from the brontosaurus period? Just show me some live page which will work without JavaScript nowadays.

cleargoal:
I can as all here to wait while forum's author decide to change this behavior of forum
You risk to wait forever. We have no plans to change behaviours of thousands of people just because of two opinions.

Guest:
A div in the form with an id and then using innerHTML to update the content of the div with the error message has been the standard way of producing error messages on forms for the last eight or so years.
Could you please point us to the article or document, which clarifies such kind of standard and proofs it's a "standard way"? I personally never read about that.

Each project is being developed using approaches which fit it best.

Guys, it's very simple to criticize something just because you don't like it. How about offering more practical approach? It's open source. Take it, modify it and re-submit to miniBB project. Then it will be your participance. Until that, you all just sound empty.

Author cleargoal
Partaker
#19 | Posted: 27 Aug 2013 13:14 
Paul:
cleargoal:
I can as all here to wait while forum's author decide to change this behavior of forum

You risk to wait forever. We have no plans to change behaviours of thousands of people just because of two opinions.
ОК

Author Guest
~
#20 | Posted: 10 Sep 2013 14:42 
felgall:
In some browsers it offers the person viewing the page the opportunity to turn JavaScript off.
This is pity, and going to end. Firefox so far was the only browser allowing to simply switch JavaScript off in Options, just checking out one box. Now even Firefox maintainers removed this feature, "this change was done to help protect the typical user from accidentally breaking Firefox and the web" - this is from their forums.

You see, regarding Firefox staff, switching JavaScript you break the web.
So how miniBB could be guilty on that. miniBB just uses the simplest approach, and it's JavaScript. And miniBB surely comes for typical users.

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 
Specific miniBB Support Forums / Specific /
 How to change of alert message?
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Proceed with the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑