miniBB ® 

miniBB

®
Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
Official Addons and Solutions miniBB Support Forums / Official Addons and Solutions /  

Keywords-rich URLs

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next »

Author kuopassa
Partaker
#16 | Posted: 31 Dec 2010 03:27 
Did you copy the .htaccess code lines inside the PHP file? Inside each of those three PHP file there's few lines of .htaccess rules, which should be inserted to that .htaccess file which is used in forum.

Author PurpleCow
Partaker
#17 | Posted: 31 Dec 2010 10:01 
Yes - I had copied the rewrite rules in the php file into .htaccess. It did not work.

Thanks for any help

Author kuopassa
Partaker
#18 | Posted: 31 Dec 2010 10:46 
Does your forum otherwise work? Have you installed some other plugins? This is my .htaccess for a miniBB forum using clean URL's (the 1st URL scheme if I remember correctly):

RewriteEngine on
RewriteBase /keskustelu/

RewriteRule ^index\.html$ ./index.php?mdrw=on

RewriteRule ([0-9a-z_]+)-f([0-9]+)-([-0-9]+)\.html$ ./index.php?action=vtopic&forum=$2&page=$3&mdrw=on [NC]
RewriteRule ([0-9a-z_]+)-f([0-9]+)\.html$ ./index.php?action=vtopic&forum=$2&page=1&mdrw=on [NC]

RewriteRule ([0-9a-z_]+)-([0-9]+)-([0-9]+)-([-0-9]+)\.html$ ./index.php?action=vthread&forum=$2&topic=$3&page=$4&mdrw=on [NC]
RewriteRule ([0-9a-z_]+)-([0-9]+)-([0-9]+)\.html$ ./index.php?action=vthread&forum=$2&topic=$3&page=1&mdrw=on [NC]

The line which says RewriteBase /keskustelu/ means that forum is installed in subfolder, so forum's URL would be: www.domainaddress.com/keskustelu/.

Author PurpleCow
Partaker
#19 | Posted: 31 Dec 2010 15:18 
Yes the forum otherwise works. I have only used RSS plugin so far though I want to use nearly 4/5 other plugin but waiting for SEO thing to work.

For the RewriteBase, if I have installed in a sub-domain what should I put as value?

Sub-domain as in - subdomain dot domain dot com

PS: Sorry - looks like I have no permission to post links...

Thanks

Author PurpleCow
Partaker
#20 | Posted: 1 Jan 2011 00:37 
Hi,

I have decided to go with option 2 - addon_mod_rewrite_2.php

and hence I would put only this - if(!defined('NO_MOD_REWRITE')) include($pathToFiles.'addon_mod_rewrite_#.php'); in setup_options.php

In the README file, it says - If required, under this setting, specify the pure path to your forum files as it may appear under $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'] variable of PHP. This setting will be used in parseRequest...URL() function to get the typed URL of a forum or topic, without leading path.
Does it mean I have specify some path somewhere?

Thanks

Author PurpleCow
Partaker
#21 | Posted: 1 Jan 2011 00:42 
Ok - Tried again and it is working fine now on my forums. Thanks much

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#22 | Posted: 3 Jan 2011 06:14 
It would be very useful to know what you did in order to get it work.
Else it all looks too selfish!

Author PurpleCow
Partaker
#23 | Posted: 3 Jan 2011 21:42 
To start with my .htaccess file was blank and I only copy/pasted what was in the file as per the plugin README.

But after seeing kuopassa's response, I only included couple of mandatory lines in the beginnign of .htaccess and it worked fine.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#24 | Posted: 4 Jan 2011 04:20 
Thank you! That makes sense.

Author learnednewbie
#25 | Posted: 4 Sep 2011 19:37 
Thanks Paul for the plugin and thanks PurpleCow for your additions.

Using the readme and adding the code to my root .htaccess meant I got the seo links I desired, but they all went 404. Once I added a .htaccess file to the forum directory and added the code for the module, the same problem persisted. But as soon as I added the extra lines of code at the top of the .htaccess file that PurpleCow stated above, it worked a treat. One little problem - one of my forum names ended with a full stop (.) and this caused the link 404, maybe something to look at (though its not a major problem at all, it could annoy people who've got an established forum, where have to start a new forum again). I had to delete that forum and start a new one. Apart from that, good work Paul!

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#26 | Posted: 5 Sep 2011 11:53 
Don't use dots in forum names, that's incorrect. And that will solve your problem.

You can edit forum titles in admin panel without deleting them. I'm not sure why you did that all to solve such an easy task.

Author kuopassa
Partaker
#27 | Posted: 14 Jan 2013 06:14 
Paul, is there a limit on how long the URL's can be? I think it's technically possible to have 255 character long URL's, but I think some clean URL's that miniBB produces are cut off after X character.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#28 | Posted: 14 Jan 2013 12:26 
Ask Google first :-)

miniBB's function cuts off really long URLs just because of the user's comfort.
If this add-on is about "user-friendly" URLs, having an URL which you can't write down by hand confronts this principle.
But you are free to edit this rule. All versions of this add-on will start to cut off the URL if it's longer than 70 chars.
Look up for '>70' in any of the add-on's versions, function `convertTitle`, and replace it to '>255' or whatever length you want.

Author kuopassa
Partaker
#29 | Posted: 26 Jul 2013 09:34 
I found a simple way to enchance this plugin for the audience who is familiar to umlauts. In English there's no letters ä or ö and such. This keyword-rich URL's plugin strips those letters from URL addresses and that causes a tiny cosmetic problem for some users. So here's a fix to have umlauts "processed":

$topicTitle=str_replace('ä','a',strtolower(utf8_decode($topicTitle)));
$topicTitle=str_replace('ö','o',strtolower(utf8_decode($topicTitle)));
$topicTitle=str_replace('å','a',strtolower(utf8_decode($topicTitle)));
Those lines can be inserted to the PHP file addon_mod_rewrite_1.php, addon_mod_rewrite_2.php or addon_mod_rewrite_3.php. They can be placed right after this line:

function convertTitle($topicTitle){
So this update will make:

ä = a
ö = o
å = a

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#30 | Posted: 26 Jul 2013 12:15 
You can put it in one line and make it much more quick (specially in the case of multiple converted chars):

$topicTitle=str_replace(array('å', 'ö', 'å'), array('a', 'o', 'a'), strtolower(utf8_decode($topicTitle)));

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next » 
Official Addons and Solutions miniBB Support Forums / Official Addons and Solutions /
 Keywords-rich URLs
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Proceed with the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑