miniBB ® 

miniBB

®
Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
Custom Tutorials and Modifications miniBB Support Forums / Custom Tutorials and Modifications /  

Forums for members only on weekends [to fight guest spam]

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#1 | Posted: 23 Feb 2013 20:27 
We're getting lots of guests spam, which seems completely having no sense, as they do not have hyperlinks put it, and even references to some other recognizable ads are put rarely. For example, one of the recent pieces is "The subject is very good, the building Lord come on".
Does somebody experience the same?

Just because I am being rarely online on weekends, sometimes I miss the time to remove these spam messages, that's why I've come to a very simple solution to enable our boards for registered-members only, but just on weekends, i.e. Saturdays and Sundays.

The code to automate it is quite simple. Under setup_options.php, instead of providing just a definition of $allForumsReg, put the following:

if(date('w')==6 or date('w')==0) $allForumsReg=TRUE; else $allForumsReg=FALSE;
This is an addition to the thread regarding $allForumsReg setting and variations.

Author tom322
#2 | Posted: 27 Feb 2013 06:03 
Good advice, useful on some occasions. It looks these spam messages appear on different sites (when you put them in "" on search engine). Maybe they 'test the waters' and if they cannot post a link, they still post text. Maybe most of these come from these IPs: dan.me.uk/torlist/ - if so, it might be worth to block them for now..

Custom Tutorials and Modifications miniBB Support Forums / Custom Tutorials and Modifications /
 Forums for members only on weekends [to fight guest spam]
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Check out the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑