®
Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
Specific miniBB Support Forums / Specific /  

Last discussions pagenav problem

Author Bluesplayer
Partaker
#1 | Posted: 10 Oct 2012 13:28 
I just noticed - after altering my forum to modern from old - that the page navigation on the 'Last Discussions' is faulty. The urls look like this:

http://domain/2/

whereas the url on my forum looks like this:

http://domain/index.php?action=vtopic&forum=1&sortBy=1&page=2

These look different to the urls that are on this minibb forum which look like this:

https://www.minibb.com/forums/how-to-2/index2.html

The titles of the topics are in the urls so at least part of the mod rewrite code is working.

I used the Keyword-rich URLs download on setting 2?

Have I missed something?

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#2 | Posted: 10 Oct 2012 13:53 
Yes, you have.

Navigation on the main page is not related to the forum or topic navigation at all.
It's a separate script to handle displaying of all topics posted in one list.

If the URL on your forum looks like you provided, it seems you didn't switch on the $mod_rewrite setting of setup_options.php. Make sure it's set to TRUE and is not slashed. If it's not installed, URLs from the main page should look like

http://domain/forums/index.php?page=2

Installing rewritten URLs requires more experience than from a beginner, so I doubt I could help you on more without seeing your files, codes etc.

Author Bluesplayer
Partaker
#3 | Posted: 10 Oct 2012 14:03 
Not sure what I have done wrong. Switching off the mod rewrite makes everything work again. As Google has altered it's stance on titles in urls now I don't suppose it is all that important anymore so I may as well leave it alone I think.

Author Bluesplayer
Partaker
#4 | Posted: 10 Oct 2012 14:15 
Ah. The problem is just with the Latest Discussions page nav links. Firefox wasn't updating to the new links. I fired up Explorer and everything works as it should bar for the problem with Latest Discussions. Seen this before with Firefox and altering htaccess. It doesn't seem to want to use the new urls until you delete your cookies for that site.

So what is the problem with the Latest Discussions page nav you think?

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#5 | Posted: 10 Oct 2012 16:16 
Sorry, I can't help without seeing your files, codes etc.
It's a question related to your own customization, so everything is in your hands.

Whatever I could say definitely - this problem can not be related to the browser. It's a server-side issue and is strictly related to your forum/.htaccess configuration.

Author Bluesplayer
Partaker
#6 | Posted: 10 Oct 2012 16:22 
Yeah. I cleared the cache on Firefox and it works ok now.

Rather than mess with my files (as I can't remember what I have done to them) I altered the bb_func_ldisc file for now. Quick fix. I altered the mod rewrite part for the pageNavExtra to be as if the mod rewrite wasn't being used. The links now work on the home page and nothing else seems to be upset. It will do for now.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#7 | Posted: 10 Oct 2012 16:25 
Whatever core script you modified, it will lead you to no easy possibility to upgrade miniBB in the future. You will need to modify this file again and again instead of simply overriding it. Wrong solution.

The point is, that the problem is strictly somewhere else. The software should work without any core script modification applied.

Author myseo
Partaker
#8 | Posted: 24 Oct 2012 22:28 
I have same problem :(

Author Jaime
Partaker
#9 | Posted: 27 Nov 2012 18:44 
myseo
Do you mean that:

As Guest on an Topic the PageNav say: .../forums/1_2.html
As reg User on the same Topicsite the PageNav says: .../forums/index.php?action=vtopic&forum=1&sortBy=1&page=2

Hm .. on my miniBB 2.1 i have not that problem ... but under 3.0. Well, I must also go to troubleshooting. But had already reinstalled 3 times, once with and once without a compiled version. Unfortunately without result.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#10 | Posted: 28 Nov 2012 12:32 
Jaime
It may be probably because you have specified sorting by "New Topics" under user's profile.
Then you see what you specified: topics sorted in non-default order, that's why it requires non-default URLs.
With mod_rewritten URLs, it is impossible to achieve having similar URLs, I hope you understand why.

Author Jaime
Partaker
#11 | Posted: 28 Nov 2012 12:38 
I've just installed the latest version again.

Paul:
it seems you didn't switch on the $mod_rewrite setting of setup_options.php. Make sure it's set to TRUE and is not slashed.
OK.

From the Manual:

When you are sure that mod_rewrite module is set up correctly on your server, you need to create .htaccess file and put under the forums folder. It should look like this:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^index\.html$ ./index.php?mdrw=on
RewriteRule ^manual\.html$ ./index.php?action=manual&mdrw=on
RewriteRule ^([0-9]+)_([0-9]+)_([-0-9]+)\.html$ ./index.php?action=vthread&forum=$1&topic=$2&page=$3&mdrw=on
RewriteRule ^([0-9]+)_([-0-9]+)\.html$ ./index.php?action=vtopic&forum=$1&page=$2&mdrw=on

The PageNav on the first Forumssite will link to ../forums/2/ with an 404 Error. On the Topicsite the PageNav link to .../forums/6_2.html and works perfectly.

The htaccess must be adapted to the following line:

RewriteRule ^([0-9]+)/$ ./index.php?page=$1&mdrw=on

After that everything works perfectly. The Installation Guide should be adjusted accordingly? Or I myself have not read anything properly ;-)

Arrrrggggg .... i see the Problem :)

Look at the Online Manual: Most Recently updated on March 25, 2010. And now look in your Manual under /templates .. Most Recently updated on December 15, 2011! Small problem with a big impact <g>

Problem identified, problem solved. You all have a nice day.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#12 | Posted: 30 Nov 2012 20:02 
Thanks for mentioning! Manual is fixed.
I start to feel that sometimes I can't control everything happening here :)

Obviously, miniBB manual needs the strongest update after the software release itself. I was keeping a hope to update it amongst the miniBB 3, but it seems plans were changed. That's why the older version of the Manual was lept.

Sorry for that! And not only You :)

Specific miniBB Support Forums / Specific /
 Last discussions pagenav problem
 Share Topic's Link

This topic is closed. New replies are not allowed.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Try the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑