| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
Specific miniBB Support Forums / Specific /  

Multiple boards, one database?

Author ramchandra
Partaker
#1 | Posted: 15 Nov 2012 10:42 
Hello,

I have one minibb board up and running, and would like to to make another one,
on a diferent website, which is actually a subdomain of the previous. Both sites (main and subdomain) are
hosted on the same (home) server.

Which will be the best way to do this?

Should I install minibb again on the second website, or use copy/paste settings from first, with a diferent settings?
When install the minibb it creates the necessary database, I am not sure I can build new one by hand???

All the best.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#2 | Posted: 15 Nov 2012 12:48 
MiniBB allows to run multiple forums on the same core and scripts.

Regarding the sub-domain the script is called from, you could operate this condition and in setup_options.php provide a boolean code to load different values for database settings/table names, files path, cookies etc. Then instead of the default database, miniBB will load different database - but still, it will work on the same core. So when upgrading, you could upgrade all forums at once. This is the best and supported approach.

The approach described above, is used in Archiving feature of miniBB-based forum.

Copying yet another version of the software is not the best approach. It would work only if you have a completely different forum, with the different layout, add-ons, functionality and so on. Then you will be forced to upgrade 2 versions at once, i.e. it will take you double time for 2 forums, triple time for 3 forums etc.

Author ramchandra
Partaker
#3 | Posted: 15 Nov 2012 15:22 
Thank you Paul for your answer.
Actually I need a completely different board for the second site (it is diferent no matter it is a subdomain).
I will need a different layout etc. Should I use install file, and start with a new instalation, or just copy all forum files to
the new location/folder and then adjust them to my needs. How to create the "new" database needed?
This Mysql is such a mist to me :)

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#4 | Posted: 15 Nov 2012 15:45 
Creating database is performed on the server's end, depends on how you moderate it - via cPanel or via secured shell access, I can't have ideas on it. It depends.

It also depends on how you install the forum. Whatever I don't recommend, is to use an outdated version of the software. You may use our Compiler to get the package with all the add-ons you need in a minute, and this will be the most fresh version we have, which I recommend to install.

Author ramchandra
Partaker
#5 | Posted: 16 Nov 2012 08:10 
Yes I am using the latest release.

I didn't quite understand what is "multiple board with one core", what is the core of miniBB?

If i copy/paste entire folder "/forums" to another location and ajust the setting acordingly to
new URL and new database table names will it be different than fresh install using miniBB installer?

And how many ways is there for installing the forum? :)

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#6 | Posted: 16 Nov 2012 11:29 
By "the core of miniBB" I was meaning the set of scripts and files, which are included in miniBB package.

How many ways? I suppose, the only one- create a database and copy/assign scripts to it :) But it depends what kind of scripts...

ramchandra:
If i copy/paste entire folder "/forums" to another location and ajust the setting acordingly to
new URL and new database table names will it be different than fresh install using miniBB installer?
It depends on the current version of your forums. If they are using the latest release, or at least something from the latest release, it would be mostly safe to duplicate it.

However, it's up to you. The software is supplied "as is" and you are free to maintain it on your wish. I could provide a recommendation, but it doesn't mean you should follow it.

Author ramchandra
Partaker
#7 | Posted: 26 Nov 2012 14:33 
So far so good :)
I compile a new forum, instaled it and it is running OK now. ...but

Now I am looking for a way to DISable avatars :)

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#8 | Posted: 28 Nov 2012 12:26 
Just uninstall the add-on, *otherwise* following instructions from its readme.

Specific miniBB Support Forums / Specific /
 Multiple boards, one database?
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Try the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑