®
Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
Specific miniBB Support Forums / Specific /  

Media embedding addons

Author nmnnav
Partaker
#1 | Posted: 2 Oct 2011 13:39 
First of all, thanks for this intuitive piece of software. Me, as a basic developper/designer feel very comfortable inside the way miniBB is coded. It got my forum running real fast, real smooth. The only problem actually is that it's too much fun!

The premium addons are a real good investment. There is not more that i can wish. Or is there?

The youTube embedding is a vital part of the type of forum that I am running. The forum focusses on Digital Media and Arts and thus shows a lot of video and sounds. Since youTube is no longer the place where they share such media I am in need of other BB-code embedding options. For example there is vimeo. A somewhat more professional video-sharing platform. Or soundcloud a platform for musicians to share their work.

All these sites offer an embedding option. Mostly as iFrames. The high quality of sound and video make it very populair and that is important for designers offcourse.

I would like to see a way to embed, just like youtube videos, these media in posts on forum. The filebank or gallery addon (which i will get anyway) are not sufficient for my needs. The video files we talk about are approximately 500MB and that is quite small. The service that vimeo offers is perfect, it keeps the bandwith on my servers low while showcasing high quality video.The player for Soundcloud is no different from that.

My question is;what action should I undertake to achieve these functions? Is it just a matter of simple modifications of the plugins? Or is this more a custom modification?

Looking forward for your reply!

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#2 | Posted: 3 Oct 2011 12:35 
If you are about uploading your own (big) video files and then referencing to them with the option of embedded video in posts, that's a long talk, a very specific task, depending on your server's configuration and so many other points then I think it's not worth to mention all them here.

But if you are about just embedding extra BB-codes to the media sites, that's the task that is easily handled by miniBB. You just need to program a specific BB function to convert something like BB-code to the actual HTML referenced to these sites, all purely the same like for YouTube code or any other code. You must edit bb_codes.php for it and add new parts to enCodeBB() and deCodeBB() functions.

We also could provide custom service regarding the codes you would like to implement; one code for the media site, depending on its difficulty, could cost you about $30-$40 accordingly to our rates.

Author nmnnav
Partaker
#3 | Posted: 3 Oct 2011 15:40 
Hi Paul, thanks for your response. To answer your question, it's definitly about embedding media from other sites. Vimeo offers a great way of hosting and sharing videos, it would be ridiculous and unnecessary to do the same.

I just observed the code for youtube embedding in bb_codes, and although it does make sense, I rather not try it myself. You probably do a much better job and faster too. The code from vimeo look like this: (not sure if highlighting is enabled on this forum)

<iframe src="URLHERE?title=0&byline=0&portrait=0" width="640" height="352" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen allowFullScreen></iframe>
How would I get in contact with you to discuss a possible arrangement?

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#4 | Posted: 3 Oct 2011 17:02 
Just click the Contacts link located at the bottom of each page, provide us your email address and I've come to you to communicate directly. Thanks :)

Author nmnnav
Partaker
#5 | Posted: 4 Oct 2011 11:16 
I've send you a mail. Did you by any change allready respond? Perhaps I accidently deleted the message, and I can't seem to find it.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#6 | Posted: 4 Oct 2011 11:38 
Usually I'm checking miniBB emails once in a morning :) Replied now.

Author nmnnav
Partaker
#7 | Posted: 6 Oct 2011 23:08 
Hi Paul, couldn't wait to play around with it. Is it okay to discuss the working of the addon here?
(or do you prefer mail?)

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#8 | Posted: 7 Oct 2011 15:10 
It's very preferable that we discuss all public questions in public :) People may find something interesting for them, too.

Author nmnnav
Partaker
#9 | Posted: 8 Oct 2011 00:12 
Well, after some initial errors I got it to work.
After I installed the add-on I experienced some very strange behaviour on my site. If I were to embed Vimeo links and pressed [post message] I got a refresh but no posting. No post, no updates, nothing. When I watched a preview of the message it was completely empty.
At first I thought the problem was in the add-on itself, but offcourse it wasn't. I discovered, after watching all my add-ons, that I had still some leftovers from a 'third-party' add-on. The add-on that was causing the prblems was the [code] add-on, what is known also as [hihglight].
After I commented out this piece of code from bb_codes the add-on was working as aspected:

[edit] (removed code)

Since [highlighting] does what I need I, offcourse, do not need this code. So no troubles here!

I have the add-on public now and asked the members to experiment with it. If any problems occur I will get back! :)

Author tkx211
Partaker
#10 | Posted: 8 Oct 2011 05:16 
Oh my god. You publiced premium addon.

Author nmnnav
Partaker
#11 | Posted: 8 Oct 2011 11:55 
I don't believe I did. But removed it just in case.
Posted code came from: dewmill[dot]com/minibb.html and is in no way a premium add-on.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#12 | Posted: 10 Oct 2011 11:07 
Ok, I am not quite sure what you are about, but I believe if the add-on works, I could publish it now, with your credit, as we agreed :)

The [code] tag - what do you need it for? Are your forums programming-related?

MiniBB by default contains [hl] tag which allows to highlight some blocks of text.

Author nmnnav
Partaker
#13 | Posted: 10 Oct 2011 19:36 
Yes I indeed need the [hl] function. I only discovered this function after reading the manual much later. I accidently forgot to remove some off the code for this [code] function, but all is working now. My forum contains content about programming with MAX-MSP and supercollider, programs for audio and video manipulation. But that's actually of no importance. :)

Please proceed and make the add-on public. I would be honoured to support miniBB. :)

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#14 | Posted: 18 Oct 2011 11:37 
The add-on was released :)

Specific miniBB Support Forums / Specific /
 Media embedding addons
 Share Topic's Link

This topic is closed. New replies are not allowed.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Try the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑