®
Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
Suggestions miniBB Support Forums / Suggestions /  

HTML5

Author astass
Partaker
#1 | Posted: 15 Jul 2011 08:28 
Paul on the platform you intend to use minibb2.5 HTML5? Or it is too early to talk about it?
Maybe someone in this topic describe some of the benefits of innovation.
Thank you.

Author tom322
#2 | Posted: 15 Jul 2011 14:24 
From what I tested, all you need to do is to change DOCTYPE in the header template file to just:

<!doctype html>

and voila!

HTML5 is fully compatibile with the older versions so whatever works there it will also work on HTML5. Benefits? - new possibilities, especially related to forms, but overall for miniBB it shouldn't matter a lot since all scripts are designed to work even on HTML3 ;).

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#3 | Posted: 18 Jul 2011 02:40 
First of all, I would say, it's really too early to think about HTML5, while it's specification is not ready yet.

Second, I don't see any major benefits of switching to HTML5 even if it may be just about changing one tag. The most important with the current version of miniBB, is that it surprisingly quickly works on any browser. The major goal is achieved. Then why would we change it again and again and again? I don't think it matters a lot to the end user what is inside of the source code. May be only 0,05% of all miniBB end users know its architecture and code. For all other users, it's just a tiny and fast forums interface on the screen.

For me as a developer, it doesn't matter which technology is used to create a simple and stable program. I am working not for W3C and not for coders, I am working for the end users.

As about HTML5 benefits, in general. I know it brings some extras regarding multimedia content embedding, f.e. on YouTube they don't use Flash anymore, it's completely HTML5 which allows to display video streaming content. Also one thing appears on file upload forms - the "browse" field allows to select multiple files - but that's only half of the story, 'cause handling multiple file uploads requires uploading indicators, and that thing is not embedded in HTML5 and still brings lots of pain in the ass while figuring out how to do that.

None of the features above is related to miniBB. So I am not going to switch to to HTML5 right now.

Suggestions miniBB Support Forums / Suggestions /
 HTML5
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Install the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑