®
Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
Suggestions miniBB Support Forums / Suggestions /  

Display Ban Reason so banned person can see it

Author Dusky
#1 | Posted: 5 May 2011 06:06 
Hi,

Before you ban a person you can give up a reason. The reason is displayed in the banned-users-list.
But is it possible to display this reason on the page that the banned users sees?
So that banned person can see their individual reasons why they are banned.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#2 | Posted: 5 May 2011 13:11 
Dusky:
But is it possible to display this reason on the page that the banned users sees?
It is.

There are few steps to modify core files, and I think we could try to develop it by default in the next release.

First you may edit setup_mysql.php, locate the function db_ipCheck and instead of

$res=mysql_query("select id from {$GLOBALS['Tb']}...
put

$res=mysql_query("select id, banreason from {$GLOBALS['Tb']}...
and this string:

if($res and mysql_num_rows($res)>0) return TRUE; else return FALSE;
replace to:

if($res and mysql_num_rows($res)>0 and $row=mysql_fetch_row($res)) return $row[1]; else return FALSE;
Then modify index.php and replace this string:

if($user_id!=1 and db_ipCheck($thisIp,$thisIpMask,$user_id)) {
with that one:

if($user_id!=1 and $banRes=db_ipCheck($thisIp,$thisIpMask,$user_id)) {
Then modify templates/main_access_denied.html
and put somewhere after </h1> closing tag:

<span class="warning">{$banRes}</span>
P.S. I would still call it taking too much care of dorks, but anyway, we have everything resource-possible to introduce this without any significant load on the server ;)

Author tom322
#3 | Posted: 5 May 2011 14:09 
I start not to believe in IP ban, considering 'vpn servers' are on the move and used by spammers/fraudsters :|.

I think a more common feature would be to have a possibility to display a note why a particular registered user was suspended (and then put this note near his username on vthread pages). I could test it with pleasure then ;).

That would have an additional benefit - suspension notes would actually 'teach' other community members what is not allowed on the forum (ie. when they see why a given member is suspended they would be less likely to do the same). Now I think it is a good idea indeed :.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#4 | Posted: 5 May 2011 14:24 
If you mean the ban by user ID by the same script, the currently provided solution already covers it. Let's not forget that through a ban panel we can also ban users by their user ID.

But if you mean the "[Member] Yes/No" feature under user's profile, it's a bit another story. Then we need kind of complicated algorithm, which introduces a new field on the form, visible to admin/moderators only, and the "Yes/No" link then should be a dropdown, 'cause the value of ban reason can be submitted only via specific form. So it should be a form on user's profile - I'm not sure it's a sufficient solution in terms of miniBB strategy. Also, the script should keep the value of ban reason in a separate field of users table.

I think there would be too much noise around it, at the time if you want to display a ban reason, you already can do it with the solution above. And if you "disable" some Members that would mean you don't care about second-hand idiots bombing your forums with insignificant content ;)

[and that's true - we must not care about details which do not work for us].

Author tom322
#5 | Posted: 5 May 2011 14:40 
Paul:
But if you mean the "[Member] Yes/No" feature under user's profile, it's a bit another story.
Yes, I meant just that. Oh well, I see it definitely cannot be done by script, but also database would be involved so it's not very mini :

Suggestions miniBB Support Forums / Suggestions /
 Display Ban Reason so banned person can see it
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Get the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑