Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
The Other miniBB Support Forums / The Other /  

web hosting offers for MiniBB

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2

Author mitchk
Partaker
#16 | Posted: 10 Jan 2011 13:45 
Could you drop me an e-mail real quick, mkeeler@site5.com? I would really like to talk with you more one on one about this. (and you can share your Site5 hosted domain name with me in private that way) I agree with you, this is definitely something that should not be happening and I want to make sure we get all the details to make sure this sort of thing does not happen in the future. Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Author tom322
#17 | Posted: 10 Jan 2011 14:57 
I'm emailing you now.

----

OK, the issue appears to be resolved (hopefully for good). I guess Paul may want to remove our conversation; if I have a problem I'll email you again. Thanks.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#18 | Posted: 11 Jan 2011 06:21 
I don't think I am interested to remove such conversations, because in most cases, ANY hosting provider putting 500-1000 websites on one server, will experience such problems, and all users should know about that.

That is actually the main difference between a dedicated server, i.e. the machine you run and maintain on your own, and the server which is maintained by somebody, thus "somebody" is not always an educated and experienced staff. I have experienced such problem on Hostgator, where we hosted miniBB for some time in the past. When the problem was solved, it appeared that some other website caused it. Then the question is: why exactly miniBB website was closed? because of what? What kind of information was investigated to close that website, not the other one? The website was stopped, we lost traffic and customers. Who can be in response for it? Nobody.

This is the information you will never get from the hosting provider. Else they would look too lame in your eyes, too untrusted.

I must say to everyone who's going to buy a "cheap" web hosting, or in general, any other shared web hosting: such hosting is always unreliable. All providers trying to put as many websites as possible on one server. When you read there is "unlimited" space offered, it's not true and it's just an advertisement trick.

The space is always limited, but the trick here is, that providers just try to keep small-to-medium websites on one server which do not take a lot of traffic and a lot of resources. By the certain time. When some of these websites at just one moment becomes extremely busy - yes, in this world it may happen that your website gains a popularity one day - or when some website may be hacked or flooded - all other websites fail because of it. And nobody could expect it - providers can't control traffic and resources in advance.

Web hosting is a very difficult business if you would try to achieve high quality trusted service with it, but these days, most web hosting companies are "automated". They just buy computers, buy software to maintain them, hire few students or cheap 3rd world engineers, and here you go - the system is ready to start. And it may work in some terms, but only if there is nothing serious.

Author gacek
#19 | Posted: 11 Jan 2011 09:22 
Paul:
I don't think I am interested to remove such conversations
I agree; if I was a user I'd pay to get unbiased review to avoid stress and money loss. Companies will survive and individuals have no other recourse than posting their good and bad experiences.

Paul:
Then the question is: why exactly miniBB website was closed? because of what?
They blame the software (they may be right sometimes but not always).

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#20 | Posted: 11 Jan 2011 12:35 
gacek:
They blame the software
Indeed.
But they blame any and each software forgetting that server side also has its protection. And if it doesn't have it, it's up to themselves. Unfortunately, I never experienced something exact in this case - nobody told me why this or that happened, only apologies.

Author tuaris
Partaker
#21 | Posted: 27 Feb 2011 02:37 
Paul:
Web hosting is a very difficult business if you would try to achieve high quality trusted service with it, but these days, most web hosting companies are "automated". They just buy computers, buy software to maintain them, hire few students or cheap 3rd world engineers, and here you go - the system is ready to start. And it may work in some terms, but only if there is nothing serious.
I like to call these type of companies "wannabe web hosts". All they do is rent a server from a colo, or sign up for some reseller account and claim they are a hosting company.

My company (Pacy World) outsources NOTHING. It owns and operates EVERYTHING; networking equipment, servers, routers, data lines, etc on site. Been in business for almost 5 years now with not one hiccup.

The customers are happy and the stuff works.

Just my 2 cents!

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#22 | Posted: 28 Feb 2011 03:57 
tuaris
I've checked your hosting company website - hmm, it seems, I would say, you are not only good in operating your own environment, but also working the proper customers :) I've checked few sites from the "live sites and links" area, and it seems, most of them are very regular small business websites, which do not require a lot of traffic or resources, and which are mostly static or with only minor PHP driven dynamics.

How about to host lots of dynamic sites, having 50-100-300 visitors per second? :) Do you have such websites stored? This is the visitors amount some of miniBB customers already are experiencing.

Author Prince
Partaker
#23 | Posted: 17 Apr 2011 13:46 
Do you guys know any good web hosting company with good dedicated servers? and have more than 4TB Bandwidth?

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#24 | Posted: 18 Apr 2011 05:18 
About 4 Tb Bandwidth - I'm not quite sure I've got the idea. Do you mean the amount of outgoing traffic per month?

It's a dinosaurs era to count traffic. Look up for the provider where the traffic is unlimited. There are a lot of such companies.

Bandwidth means the Capacity, how wide is ability of the connection to hold different signals. It's not up to you to research for such information on hosting providers, because rather nobody will give it to you. However I'm sure, there are no bandwidths that allow 4 Terabytes of bits per second. 10 Gbit/s is the maximum nowadays. Available in NASA only or such similar government systems.

With such data rates, anyway, I would recommend not to look for a dedicated server. Look up for cloud hosting solutions. Amazon provides the most popular ones.

Author Prince
Partaker
#25 | Posted: 18 Apr 2011 10:12 
Paul:
About 4 Tb Bandwidth
I mean traffic yes,
my forum gets about 3500 GB traffic a month, I couldn't find a good hosting company to provide more than it.

some of them have about 2500 GB.

Author tom322
#26 | Posted: 18 Apr 2011 13:12 
If you talk about the website in your profile, it is hard to imagine why the traffic is 3500GB a month. It's impossible that it's from users. Unless users can download full-length movies.

I'm almost sure your forum is being targeted by at least one 'spam' robot. I had a similar situation where an IP address / robot (from Africa) was bombarding my site every second and this particular IP was eating on average 40GB a day. After I blocked it everything went back to normal. Check your stats in cpanel/awstats to see suspicious IP/s and block them.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#27 | Posted: 18 Apr 2011 14:15 
Prince
You may try to look at advancedhosters.com - hah, they otherwise call the Bandwidth a "Traffic" :) still I'm not sure what it means, i.e. Traffic: up to 30Mbps. Obviously it's their Bandwidth.

That's interesting how different hosting companies make their proposals :-) I have to learn from them.

tom322:
this particular IP was eating on average 40GB a day
There are quite a lot of server tools to protect from such flood (example for FreeBSD). It's hoster's task to install and hold such tool.

Author tom322
#28 | Posted: 18 Apr 2011 17:50 
Paul:
It's hoster's task to install and hold such tool.
Some of them don't care, apparently... Well, it's good to check some stats a few times a month ;)

Author kuopassa
Partaker
#29 | Posted: 19 Apr 2011 21:10 
Prince:
my forum gets about 3500 GB traffic a month, I couldn't find a good hosting company to provide more than it.
That is a huge number! You might want to try to ask an offer from some big hosting company. Could be easiest...

Author Prince
Partaker
#30 | Posted: 22 Apr 2011 12:48 
Thanks Guys,

I finally found a nice one, and using it right now: http://www.singlehop.com/

It seems nice company and I like their support are fast and quick :)

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 
The Other miniBB Support Forums / The Other /
 web hosting offers for MiniBB
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Check out the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑