Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
Specific miniBB Support Forums / Specific /  

Error when trying to add a forum

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next »

Author Evelien
Partaker
#1 | Posted: 10 Apr 2011 07:23 
I have just installed minibb on my website, but I can't get further than the regular installation process. When I'm trying to add a forum, I get this error (obviously I replaced my data values):

Table 'databasename.blablabla_forums' doesn't exist. Try another name or value.

I changed the blablabla part in the setup file, as I was told. So what did I do wrong..? I didn't see anywhere that I had to go to my database to add all values manually..? Does anybody know what the problem could be? Thanks in advance.

Author Guest
~
#2 | Posted: 11 Apr 2011 04:01 
Obviously, the problem is about what it is written about.

Check setup_options.php and make sure you have specified database and all table names properly. It would be even better if you could paste the fragment of your setup here and the exact error message. Then it would be possible to name the problem more precisely....

Author Evelien
Partaker
#3 | Posted: 11 Apr 2011 04:20 
I did exactly what I was told.. and to be honest I didn't have time to wait for a solution, so I installed a different message board :-\.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#4 | Posted: 11 Apr 2011 15:39 
I would say, if you need "just a board" and don't have time to wait for answers, you are not from our customers legion anyway. But thanks for trying :)

Author Evelien
Partaker
#5 | Posted: 11 Apr 2011 15:55 
It's not like that. I was actually very charmed about miniBB, I was looking for something specific, found it in miniBB and didn't want anything else at first. But when I got an error at the first instant of even setting things up, when I was doing everything the way I was supposed to do it as far as I know, I felt kinda bummed.

Perhaps it was too hard for me and certain things that may have been clear to experiences PHP'ers, weren't so clear to me. Like setting up the database manually, I guess that's what I should have done - go to MyPHPadmin and create tables and all that - but I'm not experienced enough for that yet :-\. And unfortunately I couldn't find specific help with that in the manual.

Author Guest
~
#6 | Posted: 11 Apr 2011 20:28 
Guest:
Obviously, the problem is about what it is written about.

Check setup_options.php and make sure you have specified database and all table names properly. It would be even better if you could paste the fragment of your setup here and the exact error message. Then it would be possible to name the problem more precisely....
Um.. okay

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#7 | Posted: 12 Apr 2011 10:02 
Evelien:
I guess that's what I should have done - go to MyPHPadmin and create tables and all that
It should not be done that way.

I guess if you are not experienced in that, you were not opposed to rename any tables and just install what we have by default. Creating difficulties brings more difficulties, you know :)

There is nothing specific regarding miniBB installation. You just need to make sure what and were you are doing. I can install it on any hosting in 5 minutes from scratch, including database setup, if it's not present. If you are doing it on your own, it means you are experienced enough to do that. If you are not experienced enough, you may hire experienced people to do it for you, that will cost you less money and time actually.

But that is fine. Good luck with your choice!

Author Evelien
Partaker
#8 | Posted: 12 Apr 2011 10:04 
The setup told me to rename tables for safety... I did just that. Oh well.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#9 | Posted: 13 Apr 2011 04:33 
Evelien:
The setup told me to rename tables for safety
I'm confused, 'cause I don't know where did you get this point? Setup script, I mean _install.php, is not telling such things.

It's said only in Manual. So if you have read Manual before, that's really great. But then you should fully follow all manual guides before installation :) Guides in "Setting up the software: Step #1" section carefully describe all actions that should be completed.

I guess you could have the error above described, because first you have installed miniBB, after you renamed tables in setup_options.php. But this step must be done before the installation. If you rename tables in setup_options.php later, you should also rename tables in database.

Author Evelien
Partaker
#10 | Posted: 13 Apr 2011 04:37 
I followed the steps in the manual and did everything that was said.

it's about this part of Step #1:

"$Tf='minibbtable_forums'; $Tp='minibbtable_posts'; $Tt='minibbtable_topics'; $Tu='minibbtable_users'; $Ts='minibbtable_send_mails'; $Tb='minibbtable_banned'; Specify database's table names - for security reasons, you must change default names."

I'm pretty sure I did it before installing the forum, but I don't 100% remember now. It doesn't matter anymore.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#11 | Posted: 13 Apr 2011 05:08 
I'm pretty sure if you did it before running the installation script,
the installation went fine, tables were really created with no errors,
you did not change setup_options.php after the installation
you can't experience such error. You just can't. Obviously the reason is something from above.

Everything matters :) This topic looks like you are giving claims to our software that it's "hard to install" that's why you switched off to another software. It looks like a cheap competitors trick or just people which are not happy with their lives that's why they love to swap things often. At the time, the reason could be truly on your end.

Author Evelien
Partaker
#12 | Posted: 13 Apr 2011 05:14 
Well the bad thing is, I switched to different software so quickly that I can't remember what I did exactly and I don't have the files anymore. I'm sure it's my own fault, but I didn't get it - and still don't - because I thought I did everything right. And although I hardly know php, I'm not a big fat diginoobie :-\.

But as I said, I'm sure it's my own fault and I must have done something wrong myself, although I do not see it. I'm sorry, I'm not trying to give the software a bad name. I came here for help initially, it's just that the situation changed because I was so darn impatient. :P

I'm sorry.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#13 | Posted: 13 Apr 2011 08:16 
There was no immediate support, because your question came on Sunday. Usually we all spend weekends with our families and friends. Internet is not so important to share even a free time to it.

It all is fine. As I wrote above, have a nice rolling with the software you've chosen :) And welcome back anytime.

Author Evelien
Partaker
#14 | Posted: 13 Apr 2011 08:18 
I never said it was weird that I didn't get a reply, I didn't blame anyone else for my impatience. :-\

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#15 | Posted: 13 Apr 2011 11:19 
Evelien:
I didn't have time to wait for a solution
Ok, may be that was my mistake to interpret this with a different meaning :)

Anyway... I don't blame you, too :) We live in a free world and you have a choice. Sadly it didn't went for miniBB, but hopefully, the product you've chosen (which one btw?..) will satisfy your requirements.

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 
Specific miniBB Support Forums / Specific /
 Error when trying to add a forum
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Proceed with the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑