miniBB ® 

miniBB

®
Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
Custom Tutorials and Modifications miniBB Support Forums / Custom Tutorials and Modifications /  

Elegant anti-spam solution

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2

Author Guest_Rik
#16 | Posted: 13 Mar 2007 11:27 
Instead of critisising every word I say, try to take the remarks constructive.
Yes it is true that if you run a serious forum you should make it a daily job BUT sometimes their can be reasons that this doesn't happen. If you haven't promoted the site yet but you do already want to be indexed in google and there is already a small group of visitors. It also can be your on vacation (my case) and the site isn't active enough yet to need to maintain it.

It's also pretty ridiculous that the forum administrator would need to waste his time deleting every day bot signups when a solution exists that would make automatically not let 99% of the bots register.

That you need to moderate the forum yes, but the forum script shouldn't be created in such a way that it doesn't offer you basic protection against spam bots.

I want to make it clear I'm not bashing minibb, if I wouldn't like the script I wouldn't waste my time posting here. I just made some comments (that I think are constructive)

Author tom322
#17 | Posted: 13 Mar 2007 12:08 
Rik, I'm not trying to criticize your word. I would understand you had the right to complain IF there was no anti-spam solution. But there is a perfect one and I've personally been testing it in and out for several months now and I'm very happy with that. I would say those $10 was one of the best investments I have ever made.

If you value your time, instead of arguing how minibb should market their products (and which ones should be free or not) you would be better off investing $10 for a solution that would allow you not to worry about spam bots any more. Today you say that captcha should be a standard for the forum script; tomorrow another user will be surprised why there is no poll addon or another addon included for free. If everything was for free, the product would not be as good as it is now.

I personally was very happy to pay the minibb team money for any addon I have purchases as with that not only I received a great product, but also great support and experience.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#18 | Posted: 13 Mar 2007 17:41 
Guest_Rik

It's also pretty ridiculous that the forum administrator would need to waste his time deleting every day bot signups when a solution exists that would make automatically not let 99% of the bots register.

- so if you want to avoid this, spend ten bucks and save your time... Are you pretentious enough being not able to spend such amount?.. ;-)

Additionally I would say, that Captcha addon will not work on every standard hosting configuration. As I see in my practice, about 10-15% of servers have not compiled Freetype library with GD(or even do not have GD), which makes running of this addon impossible. On some servers additional configuration is needed, which could be done only by experienced person. Preferring to avoid such questions, we released this addon not available to everybody. So we could give an advice or install the addon for additional little fee - I can't understand what is against "the rules" here. It just would take too much our time, and I think not answering the questions is worst than answering them for a fee.

I agree your comments are constructive, but that doesn't mean ours are not as well :-)

Author Guest
~
#19 | Posted: 1 Apr 2011 08:22 
I m implementing one character Captcha code

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#20 | Posted: 1 Apr 2011 09:52 
Guest:
I m implementing one character Captcha code
Better try Captcha with zero character code - it would really work in terms of usability!

Author Guest
~
#21 | Posted: 5 Apr 2011 08:46 
Paul:
Better try Captcha with zero character code - it would really work in terms of usability!
I know Paul, I should buy the premium add-on. but just waiting to fetch enough money from my site to buy the MiniBB license as well as its premium add-ons.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#22 | Posted: 5 Apr 2011 11:03 
It was a joke actually. Sadly you didn't get. But all poor people do not understand rich jokes, I'm quite fine with it.

Author Guest
~
#23 | Posted: 5 Apr 2011 14:15 
Thanx..

I just tried to express what's in my mind. din't took it as a joke, after all I am using someone else's hardwork...

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#24 | Posted: 6 Apr 2011 02:30 
Guest:
someone else's hardwork
I suppose this hardwork also came for couple of bucks, huh?.. :)

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 
Custom Tutorials and Modifications miniBB Support Forums / Custom Tutorials and Modifications /
 Elegant anti-spam solution
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Install the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑