®
Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
Suggestions miniBB Support Forums / Suggestions /  

Tags on thread

Author PurpleCow
Partaker
#1 | Posted: 1 Jan 2011 01:11 
Is there any hack/plugin already or would you consider doing a plugin to allow thread starter to add tags for that thread.

PLUS - ability to display top 'X' tags on home page as tag cloud?
PLUS - when clicked on a tag in the tag cloud - display search results pages with results having that clicked tag.
PLUS - associated tagging features like min and max font size for least popular and most popular (used) tags in the tag cloud.

Thanks

Author kuopassa
Partaker
#2 | Posted: 1 Jan 2011 14:18 
I too would like to see this kind of feature. Basically that inbuilt search engine has already some code for this purpose, but it produces so nasty URL's for search results that something else should be done.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#3 | Posted: 3 Jan 2011 05:57 
Sorry guys - we work for people, not for search engines.

Ask a regular person posting on forums - in 99% of cases you'll wonder s/he even doesn't know what is a tag, what is a search engine, keyword-rich URL and so on.

Regular people are interested in regular content, this is what miniBB already provides on 100%.

So I'm afraid this "feature" is not for our non-regular software. I think search engines must care themselves on the quality of the content they index and give it back using their own techniques. It's not the task for the standalone software.

Once in 2006 I have programmed the "tags" add-on which was just based on the textual content of forums. When the new topic or message was posted, it is split by words, and basing on those words, the add-on builds a tags cache. But I think the add-on needs kind of optimization now and is not compatible with the latest miniBB version. If somebody would be interested in it, I could sell it or develop/update the custom version of it.

Author marsbar
Associated Member
#4 | Posted: 5 Jan 2011 02:19 
Happy new year to everyone; and welcome back, Paul. :-D

Not to pour rain on the parade, but I would like to say that the tag clouds I have come across have mostly been useless and a distracting waste of space, for the simple reason that 'your tags are not my tags' (i.e. tagging is a personal classification system that makes sense to the person who created the tags). A tag cloud probably has its use (e.g. to show trends, perhaps?), but I am dubious about the value of tag clouds as a SEO tool, or a site navigation tool.

All best -
marsbar

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#5 | Posted: 5 Jan 2011 05:21 
marsbar:
tagging is a personal classification system that makes sense to the person who created the tags
Agreed on 100%.

Also take into attention that far not everyone understands what to put in there.

For SEO, any forum system like miniBB has topic titles. This is the primary stuff to take care.

Actually, I don't even know - who invented tags at first? Was it Wordpress team?

Author marsbar
Associated Member
#6 | Posted: 5 Jan 2011 05:48 
Paul:
Actually, I don't even know - who invented tags at first? Was it Wordpress team?
Delicious--the social bookmarking service--takes the credit for introducing user tagging, I think.
- marsbar

Author tom322
#7 | Posted: 5 Jan 2011 08:06 
marsbar:
Delicious--the social bookmarking service--takes the credit for introducing user tagging, I think.
And they are in the process of going out of business.. :|

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#8 | Posted: 5 Jan 2011 08:25 
If it's Yahoo service, I'm not wondering - Yahoo invented maps, translators, email, others just took their ideas and made them popular. It seems only good PR matters in IT...

Suggestions miniBB Support Forums / Suggestions /
 Tags on thread
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Proceed with the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑