®
Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
News miniBB Support Forums / News /  

miniBB version 2.5. released: now supporting Archiving for long-term forums

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#1 | Posted: 4 Oct 2010 05:42 
More than a year has been passed in miniBB "durable" version development, but that only means we didn't find a lot of things to improve. All our top customers report their boards are just working fine - what else could we expect in terms of providing a perfect software for your website's masses?..

Anyway, with the help of our greatest contributor, Polish Forums, now miniBB made another step forward, providing the Archiving feature for big and long-term forums.

What does it mean to archive forums? When your forum starts to have more than 200,000 of messages, and it may become slow on a shared or virtual hosting, older posts and topics could be moved to standalone tables, freeing up the space and resources for the 'live' forum, at the time they will be still available for studying and reading. That way you may keep running a high quality forum with millions of messages, but without deep impact on mySQL resources, and actually will be limited only to the mySQL server's capability.

Yes! Now it means miniBB is prepared for millionaires ;-)

Check for more detailed description of this feature. By now, you may upgrade your miniBB to this latest version and prepare for making it even better.

Other features include allowing moderators to ban users; more specific error reporting when user tries to post a topic without Subject or an empty Message; formatting function for large numbers; small bug fixes and security fixes; compatibility issues with the latest PHP version 5.3.x.

Moving replies and Merging topics add-on were also upgraded to support this miniBB release. File Upload add-on's options file needs a fix for compatibility with the Archived forums.

Enjoy :-) and feel free to make your bug reports, if they will come.

Author Prince
Partaker
#2 | Posted: 4 Oct 2010 09:39 
That's Great... ;)

Author tom322
#3 | Posted: 4 Oct 2010 09:41 
Mile step again. My only little suggestion is to rename the forum from miniBB to maxiBB now ; ).

Author Prince
Partaker
#4 | Posted: 5 Oct 2010 15:33 
Ban User IP isn't available in admin panel for new version?

Author tom322
#5 | Posted: 5 Oct 2010 17:27 
Ban/Unban is available directly from the topic page (click on the IP to go to the relevant page).

Author Guest
~
#6 | Posted: 10 Oct 2010 07:45 
thanks and more power to minibb team, can i qoute a reply using opera mini w/ this version?without highlighting?

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#7 | Posted: 11 Oct 2010 05:20 
Guest:
can i qoute a reply using opera mini w/ this version?without highlighting?
I'm not sure what do you mean - you can quote the text only highlighting its part or in whole, it works for all browsers in common.

Author jontrac
Partaker
#8 | Posted: 12 Oct 2010 12:52 
Very interesting upgrade. :)

Author marsbar
Associated Member
#9 | Posted: 26 Oct 2010 01:36 
Thanks for the nice work, Paul/Team!

Paul:
We will come with the detailed description of this feature a bit later... by now, you may upgrade your miniBB to this latest version and prepare for making it even better.
I am ready on stand by! :-) Upgrading my installation of miniBB from version 2.4.1 to 2.5 took me just under an hour last night; the bulk of the time was spent on updating the template files, and making sure that my customisations all came through and that no code for the plugins installed was lost.
Looking forward to learning more about the new archiving feature,
mb

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#10 | Posted: 26 Oct 2010 04:40 
Thanks for keeping up.

We have detailed description available now.

Unfortunately, exactly because each forum is different, the solution has no common meaning. For each case it may be different, and it's quite complicated. That's why the common free solution is not available at the moment.

Author Vishal
Partaker
#11 | Posted: 27 Oct 2010 00:56 
Cheers Paul :)

News miniBB Support Forums / News /
 miniBB version 2.5. released: now supporting Archiving for long-term forums
 Share Topic's Link

This topic is closed. New replies are not allowed.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Check out the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑