miniBB ® 

miniBB

®
Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
Custom Tutorials and Modifications miniBB Support Forums / Custom Tutorials and Modifications /  

Quick search bar / box HTML

Author vinod rawat
Partaker
#1 | Posted: 25 May 2006 12:17 
hi,
i'm new to it i mean new to minibb

is there any addon for search bar
like if there are several hundreds of posts in forum how may i search any particular post with some subject or content.....?

i guess putting a search bar for searching forums or web in it will go.

:up

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#2 | Posted: 25 May 2006 17:43 
Do you mean, in general, external search bar, Google-like? Or something else? I don't think it's difficult to emulate simple search field, basing on what we have in default / advanced search...

Author vinod rawat
Partaker
#3 | Posted: 26 May 2006 09:09 
yes i mean a simple search bar to search contents of the forum/posts

if i need to find words "script", "minibb", etc etc.. in here minibb how may i find related therad or discussion already going on..?

hence, a simple / advanced search will be doing good for the members ..

"Paul u got it right"

this feature should be added..

thanks
vinod

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#4 | Posted: 27 May 2006 15:54 
Why are you unhappy with default search page?

Anyway, here is the HTML code which you can paste in main_header.html, for example:

<form action="http://www.minibb.com/forums/index.php?" method="get" class="formStyle" >

<input name="phrase" type="text" size="15" maxlength="50" class="textForm" value="" />

<input type="hidden" name="searchType" value="0" />
<input type="hidden" name="where" value="0" />
<input type="hidden" name="forum" value="" />
<input type="hidden" name="action" value="search" />
<input type="hidden" name="searchGo" value="1" />

<input type="submit" value="Quick Search" class="inputButton" /> <a href="#">Advanced search</a>

</form>

I think there is nothing to implement in default version, 'cause everybody needing this can paste this code himself. We don't want to overload our software with duplicated pieces.

Author Prince
Partaker
#5 | Posted: 24 Sep 2010 04:54 
I want also use google like search.. it from google..

is that the same html code ?

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#6 | Posted: 24 Sep 2010 04:59 
There is different code for Google search. This solution is only for miniBB's internal search.

Author Prince
Partaker
#7 | Posted: 24 Sep 2010 19:28 
Paul:
There is different code for Google search.
Hmm... I think I need that codes.. :)

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#8 | Posted: 27 Sep 2010 01:41 
There may be lots of variations on how to provide Google search, and it strictly depends on the structure of your website and forum. This is a custom solution and we don't have common code for it.

Author Prince
Partaker
#9 | Posted: 27 Sep 2010 12:16 
Paul:
There may be lots of variations on how to provide Google search, and it strictly depends on the structure of your website and forum. This is a custom solution and we don't have common code for it.
when user clicks on search..

it shows same search bar.. but the type of search for topics or messages be like google searching method..

Google Site Search...

like some sites I saw:

http://www.dreamhost.com/search-results.html?cx=011120016198691228383:bahihswpl0y&cof=FORID:11&ie=UTF-8&q=host&sa=Search &siteurl=www.dreamhost.com/

it's google custom search but inside the site..

I don't have problem with custom solution :-p

Thanks

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#10 | Posted: 28 Sep 2010 03:22 
So if you study "Google Custom Search" guides, you may learn from them how to create this script :-)

I guess it may be done also simpler way - custom PHP script may send Google request via file_get_contents() function, parse results and display them on a page. I guess it could be about 3-4 hours of work to implement it in total, regarding our rates.

But for this you must be sure that your website is well indexed in Google.

Author Prince
Partaker
#11 | Posted: 28 Sep 2010 13:08 
Paul:
But for this you must be sure that your website is well indexed in Google.
Becaus it's a new site.. so the indexed page are 1,350 at this moment..

I made google custom search..
how can I make it fit with the forum? css.. ?

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#12 | Posted: 29 Sep 2010 03:07 
How could I explain it to a non-coder? :-) Follow Google guides, edit your code...

Custom Tutorials and Modifications miniBB Support Forums / Custom Tutorials and Modifications /
 Quick search bar / box HTML
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Get the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑