Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
Specific miniBB Support Forums / Specific /  

Problem with MySQL database

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next »

Author Peak
#1 | Posted: 22 Apr 2007 12:55 
Hi,

Could someone please tell me what am I doing wrong. I made a free account to 100webspace.com but I just can't get MySQL to work. I'm trying to run the site locally.

This is what I have in setup_options.php ->
$DB='mysql';
$DBhost='mysql1.100ws.com';
$DBname='mydatabasename;
$DBusr='myusername';
$DBpwd='mypassword';

...and
$main_url='http://localhost/forum';

No matter what I do, I just keep getting "Database/configuration error". I have tried setting up MySQL database on 2 different servers and created tables using _install_mysql.sql. It seems that I just somehow can't connect to the server.

Board works fine if I run MySQL on my own computer ($DBhost='localhost';).

Author Peak
#2 | Posted: 22 Apr 2007 13:49 
Oh I get it now. Site must be on the same domain as the database.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#3 | Posted: 23 Apr 2007 03:46 
Peak
Site must be on the same domain as the database
- hmm, that isn't true... mysql database and the website could be on different servers, but you definitely must define the settings correctly...

It is possible that if you try to connect to mysql from localhost, while mysql is placed on different server (100webspace.com), it will be not allowed. But not because miniBB could not work with this, but because on the mysql server, it will be disallowed to connect from outside, as by regular security settings...

Author Prince
Partaker
#4 | Posted: 1 Sep 2010 15:17 
My forum is so slow.. I asked the server hosting..

they told me.. Your site just looks very MySQL intensive. If you can adjust your forum
software to enable any form of caching on your server, that may be the
best way to speed things up. As Im not sure what forum software you are
using, I cant really link you to any resources on it though.

so I didn't get.. is the problem from Mysql database?

anyone has idea?
thanks

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#5 | Posted: 2 Sep 2010 02:04 
If it's shared hosting, and you have a lot of traffic, you may surely experience kind of such reply from hoster.

Then you would need a VPS or even dedicated hosting, if your forums have many users - specially "in a second" visitors.

Actually, any hoster will tell you the bad is software, not their server's configuration. I've experienced this many times in my life.

What could I recommend? Improve the hosting plan or change the hoster. miniBB uses very native requests to mySQL, they are simplified as possible. But if there are too many requests, mySQL could start to handle up, but miniBB is not the reason here.

Author tom322
#6 | Posted: 2 Sep 2010 21:37 
My advice is to change the host (or first remove any 3rd party heavy software that slows down the system ;).

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#7 | Posted: 3 Sep 2010 02:25 
Actually we have a battle with our hoster recently, that's why we have swapped the servers. When they have 600+ websites on the same server, and if a small miniBB makes 30 Gb of traffic each month, it's not the question of miniBB. Logically, you should either have smaller websites placed, or have your own server :-) but this of course is much expensive...

Author Prince
Partaker
#8 | Posted: 3 Sep 2010 04:29 
Thanks..

I also moved to the PS now.. and it's fast and ok now.. ;)

Author Prince
Partaker
#9 | Posted: 18 Jun 2012 19:20 
I'm just wondering if anyone knows what causes sending post takes longer than normal? is there any setting for sql to make it faster?
Actually site is fast even sending private message or deleting posts.. just sending posts on forum taking time.

Thanks!

Author tom322
#10 | Posted: 18 Jun 2012 23:12 
Paul should know better, but I'd check for any JavaScript files linking to external websites via <script></script> you may have (possibly Twitter, Google, Facebook and other garbage ;). From my experience they may cause problems not only when posting but also when loading a page.

Author Prince
Partaker
#11 | Posted: 19 Jun 2012 00:17 
tom322:
Paul should know better, but I'd check for any JavaScript files linking to external websites via <script></script> you may have (possibly Twitter, Google, Facebook and other garbage ;). From my experience they may cause problems not only when posting but also when loading a page.
I even removed those scripts and tried on localhost & server but both places was same.. it's a large database.. maybe it would be from that? that's why I'm looking to fix it.. I've searched a lot in google but couldn't find any good result.. just there was something like switch to innodb from Myisam.. that was all :)

But here is very fast sending post.. it's like.. less than a second!!! :)

((Just removed all add-ons from bb_plugins temporary & it worked fast like here.. but is there any option to make it same faster with add-ons also? but in minibb demo also is fast like here.. it's using all add-on also.))

Author tom322
#12 | Posted: 19 Jun 2012 00:42 
Prince:
Just removed all add-ons from bb_plugins temporary & it worked fast like here..
Maybe the bad words addon with a lot of forbidden keywords ;)

Author Prince
Partaker
#13 | Posted: 19 Jun 2012 01:22 
tom322:
Maybe the bad words addon with a lot of forbidden keywords ;)
I've got almost all add-ons except bad words.. maybe I need to removing and testing some add-ons to find out what causes this.

Thanks anyway Tom :)

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#14 | Posted: 19 Jun 2012 20:22 
Prince:
maybe I need to removing and testing some add-ons to find out what causes this
Not maybe. Definitely :) Try to switch off the add-ons one by one and you'll find the reason.
Recently I've got a report from one of the biggest miniBB forums owners too that his hoster has updated the filesystem to its latest release, and this helped to improve to load pages times faster. Just to mention...

On the sites you've mentioned everything runs quickly probably because there are not so many posts as it may be on your forum. When there are millions of posts, it would be worth to make a deep investigation on that :) there are lot of ways to improve performance of mySQL - but I think switching to innodb would not be the best solution!

Author Prince
Partaker
#15 | Posted: 19 Jun 2012 21:24 
Paul:
Try to switch off the add-ons one by one and you'll find the reason.
Thanks Paul.. found it.

I tried one by one and Polls causes this.. I just removed polls it sends posts very fast like here.. but when added it again went slow!

What you suggest for that? :)

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 
Specific miniBB Support Forums / Specific /
 Problem with MySQL database
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Install the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑