miniBB

®
Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
Specific miniBB Support Forums / Specific /  

New Site, New Forum

Author atxbgplyr
#1 | Posted: 5 Aug 2010 10:02 
I am just about to launch a brand new web site and will be using your forum as a part of that site. I have read through your document on the Synchronizing with an existing Membership. Thank you for that information. I know that a part of that document deals with the conversion of the existing membership into MiniBB, and I got a little confused there.

Since my situation will be different because I will have zero existing members at the time that I install MiniBB could you please give me a few pointers on what parts of that document may not apply to me?

Also, what are the maximum field sizes in MiniBB for MemberID, MemberName, Password, and EmailAddress?

Thank you so much, I really look forward to working with your product.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#2 | Posted: 8 Aug 2010 03:22 
If you don't have existing members, you have an existing structure of their database, right?

Also, if you don't have members, you must have at least few testing accounts - for admin (with ID=1) and for a regular user (with any other ID).

This guide still applies to you in all aspects, because it's impossible to synchronize miniBB without having an existing users database. That's what it means.

You may check field sizes in their types in the original miniBB's tables structure dump, which is available in default package as _install_mysql.sql file.

Author atxbgplyr
#3 | Posted: 8 Aug 2010 14:55 
With your documentation of how to Synchronize with another existing membership I have been able to accomplish a great deal. Many Thanks. I now have MiniBB running successfully in my environment and referencing my database for all Membership information. I added your member "bb_cookie.php" to all of my programs that were signing in and signing out members, and I am creating and deleting your cookies at the same time I do mine.

I actually have MiniBB running in a Iframe within my system. What I would like to do next is to remove from MiniBB all of the signin and signout lines that are showing on the screens. I don't want to just disable them, I want to actually remove the lines (I need the space). Can anyone give me some guidance of how to proceed next?

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#4 | Posted: 9 Aug 2010 02:14 
You may set

$enableNewRegistrations=FALSE;
under setup_options.php - it will not only hide the registration links, but also completely disable registration scripts. This setting is introduced exactly for external synchronizations, because in your custom membership case, all registrations should be done through your own script, not miniBB.

Author atxbgplyr
#5 | Posted: 9 Aug 2010 11:16 
I already had that option set Paul. However, I am still getting the signin and signout lines on the screen.

Author Guest
~
#6 | Posted: 9 Aug 2010 14:39 
Oh sorry, you probably meant "Logout" link and the Sign-in form?

It means a lot to call things as they are present in the software ;-)

These links are actually placed under templates/ folder files.

user_login_form.html contains a Sign up form (leave at least one space if you will remove all contents - it's important, as PHP gives an error when trying to load a completely 0 bytes file).

user_logged_in.html
contains Logout link.

Author atxbgplyr
Partaker
#7 | Posted: 22 Aug 2010 19:49 
Well, I'm sorry I have to admit that I am at a loss. I have effectively "turned off" the templates that were mentioned in the previous response by commenting out all of the code and leaving nothing in them but a single [ &nbsp\;]  When I did that I still saw the sign-in and sign-out buttons on my forum in the iframe.

Next I tried commenting out the code in index.php that refers to these templates, and that did get rid of them.

My forums are all set up so that they require membership to be able to post into them. I am creating the miniBB cookies from my own routines and can see that they are there by looking in firefox. However, if I try to post anything by any user other than administrator I am being told that "I am not authorized".

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Jack

Author atxbgplyr
Partaker
#8 | Posted: 24 Aug 2010 13:58 
I have been able to resolve the issue myself. The key was to make sure that the variable $user_id is set to 1 whenever a member is signed in. To do this I added code into index.php just after it calls the "user_logged_in" function. The code tests the global $GLOBALS['user_usr'] and if it is greater than "" then the code sets $user_id to 1. There were a couple of other minor changes but this was the most significant change. I now have miniBB running in an iframe successfully and using my own membership signin/out/up scripts.

Author liza2010
Partaker
#9 | Posted: 13 Oct 2010 06:58 
Hello friends!

I am liza.. I am a student. I am finding some good websites for discussion forums.My hobbies are playing games. I am always tiring to find some good online games sites...I have also good collection of games in my pc...Like World of warcraft, Starcraft, NFS, Counterstrike....

Specific miniBB Support Forums / Specific /
 New Site, New Forum
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Install the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑