miniBB ® 

miniBB

®
Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
Specific miniBB Support Forums / Specific /  

Private Messaging problem in flat-files mode: amount of msgs and Report link are not visible

Author Pari
Partaker
#1 | Posted: 24 Apr 2010 15:15 
I just purchased and installed the PM script going by the instructions in the README.txt. I decided to use the 'flat files module', since I have a lot of members and I expect a lot of PM'ing. I see the top link for the PM which displays the number of PMs we have, but within the threads, there's no PM icon beside the members name. I don't know what I did wrong or didn't do. I should note that I have a a custom profile links code thanks to Paul, which links the members names to their profile on my main site.

Could someone please tell me why the PM icon isn't showing up in the threads.

*update*
I installed the 'reporting forum message' feature and again I followed the README file and modified the templates/main_posts_cell.html and pasted {$reportMsgLink} (I also modified the templates/main_posts.html and pasted {$msgReportJs} in the javascript tags) But the link doesn't show within the threads.

The only link showing is the one in the main_posts.html that displays the number of messages a member has, and of course it's displaying [0]. I really don't know what I am doing wrong, I' following the REAME file perfectly.

Author tom322
#2 | Posted: 25 Apr 2010 22:11 
You may try to put the private message code closer to the top in bb_plugins.php too..

Author Pari
Partaker
#3 | Posted: 25 Apr 2010 23:25 
I placed it after the smilies code, which is what I thought I was suppose to do, but I guess I don't 'need' to have smilies in the PMs, so I'll try that, though not sure why that would help, I'll try anything.

Author Pari
Partaker
#4 | Posted: 25 Apr 2010 23:33 
No still no PM icon nor report message link. I can however send PMs by clicking the Private Message link in the header.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#5 | Posted: 26 Apr 2010 04:06 
Pari
For reporting feature, it is not enough just to modify templates. Did you followed instructions on creating or updating parseMessage() function? Most likely you did it wrong or did not at all.

Amount of messages should work as well when Flat Files module is installed. I can't name the reason of why it's not working without seeing your code. We are providing free installation of this add-on, so if you drop us your temporary FTP information, I could take a look at no fee.

Author Pari
Partaker
#6 | Posted: 26 Apr 2010 10:59 
I went back and followed the instructions with regard to the parseMessage() function (seems that function was already there) so that's fixed and the 'report' link is now showing fine. However, the PM icon still will not display. I will go back through the steps, since everything is now working 'except' the PM icon feature then it probably is something I am not doing, or not doing correctly.

Thanks for the help

Author Pari
Partaker
#7 | Posted: 26 Apr 2010 12:20 
*UPDATE* So it seems it was the custom profile coding that was causing the issue, but I figured it out I added this extra link to the coding now the PM icon displays and is linked up perfectly to the members id.

Thanks for letting me bounce ideas off of you guys :)

Author Team
8-)
#8 | Posted: 26 Apr 2010 15:27 
Yes, if you have custom membership built in, the parseUserInfo_username() function of the default add-on should be named correspondingly to your users table `username` field. Let's say it's named `login` then this function should be named parseUserInfo_login().

You're welcome :-)

Author Pari
Partaker
#9 | Posted: 28 Apr 2010 15:40 
First I have to say again how wonderful this forum is, I have been to do with it what I have failed to do with many, many other forums and that's blend it seamlessly with my main website (namely the member database).

I was wondering if anyone has or know a way to embed the Private Messaging feature into my member's account/profile pages on my 'main website'.

First, I want to place the PM alerts on the the member's account page, so when they log into their account they will know if they got any PMs.

Second, I want to add the PM icon to the members profile page (this is the page that guests can go to to access the members bio/info and contact the member thru email, etc...) So others and pm them right from their profile page.

Has anyone done this or knows of a way to do this. I am a novice to PHP, but I am quite good at 'tweaking' php coding to get a satisfactory end result (I learn by doing). However, I am at a loss as to where to begin with this task. I have been fiddling with it for a few days now and just can't get the result I want. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Author tom322
#10 | Posted: 28 Apr 2010 17:06 
It can surely be done, but I think only miniBB team could help you as it's custom and specific.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#11 | Posted: 29 Apr 2010 03:14 
It's all is possible, like tom322 mentioned, but it very depends on your website's architecture and scripts. For each individual case the solution is different.

You may just copy miniBB code, adjusting it to your website, which provides the same functionality; however for this you must be a professional coder, not a newbie... We provide such modifications and consultations on the paid basis only.

Specific miniBB Support Forums / Specific /
 Private Messaging problem in flat-files mode: amount of msgs and Report link are not visible
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Proceed with the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑