Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
Bugs miniBB Support Forums / Bugs /  

Quote not always working?

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next »

Author Nalinith
Partaker
#1 | Posted: 16 Jan 2010 16:25 
Edit: Nevermind, I figured it out. I didn't realize you have to copy the text you want quoted before hitting the quote button. I see this makes it easier for users that just want to quote a certain part of the message instead of the whole thing in the case it's a long post. :)

Hey Everyone,
I have a problem where when I try to quote a post sometimes it will quote it correctly.

Example:
[ quote = username ] what they said here [ / quote ]

and other times it won't

Example:

[ b ] User Name Being Quoted [ / b ]

Not sure why this is?

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#2 | Posted: 18 Jan 2010 02:30 
They are different types of Quotation implemented in miniBB.

In the latest version (and I think we will keep it that way for a long time more), when you select a text and click on "Quote", it will paste the text into the replying box with the [quote] BB code. But when you just click a "Reply" button with no selecting the text, it will paste just the username of the poster.

This is done intentionally and means you are posting something in particular to the certain user, for example, giving a question, or just keeping your good manners in the thread, paying this user's attention to your post.

It worked that way from the ancient miniBB era, when you clicked on the username, it pasted the bold'ed username in the replying box. Quotes, in the way they work, were added only year ago.

Author John79
#3 | Posted: 18 Jan 2010 13:38 
I tested the quoting feature on Chrome and Safari, but quotes don't work there correctly (ie. the same as they work on Firefox or IE). Is there a solution for that?

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#4 | Posted: 19 Jan 2010 02:22 
Could you provide some exact description of what is not working on your side?

Author John79
#5 | Posted: 19 Jan 2010 09:00 
It works in Opera, IE, and Firefox, but when I quote in chrome or safari (or when I reply in chrome or safari) I don't know if any action was taken because I stay on the quoted message instead of being taken to the post form. When I click on the "Reply" link nothing happens either (i.e. I stay on the message instead of going to the post form like in the other browsers).

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#6 | Posted: 19 Jan 2010 10:48 
So, is the text you are quoting, being pasted to the post form box?

I think I know about this issue (at least I was reported about something like this), but we have no solutions so far. I simply don't have these browsers installed and I don't have idea what's happening actually. No, I don't support Google and I will not install this browser to test. I don't trust Apple programs and I will not install their software on Windows. Sorry. It's out of my business. I guess the software itself is being fully functional on these browsers except this quoting feature.

I guess you might ask browsers developers why they do not support the thing which are supported by the major programs ;-) not us.

Speaking honestly, for 10 years of development I am completely tired of browsers inconsistency. If we talk about Chrome and Safari, why not to take other browsers? They are a lot on the planet. Let's now speak if we should take care of Amaya, iCab, Browzar and many others?

I only could suppose that insertAtCursor function of templates/form.js needs some fix, but what kind of fix? How these browsers are determined via JavaScript? I don't know.

Help us somebody else, please ;-)

Author tom322
#7 | Posted: 19 Jan 2010 11:07 
Where is Sergey Brin when you need him ;-)

Author John79
#8 | Posted: 19 Jan 2010 14:16 
I'm a little surprised and worried that as a developer of the software that is supposed to work on all popular platforms (Chrome/Safari are quite popular web browsers) you haven't even tested it there. Anyway when you have a chance please test these features on these browsers.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#9 | Posted: 20 Jan 2010 02:53 
John79:
Chrome/Safari are quite popular web browsers
From miniBB website statistics in January:

miniBB Website Browsers Statistics - January 2010

I think we should care more about "Unknown" browsers, you know ;-) I wouldn't say Chrome is popular having 2% of visitors, and Safari is popular having less than 1%. Truly for me personally it has no sense.

miniBB is open source, and we have the community, so let's wait until somebody else investigates this.

Author Radzhi
#10 | Posted: 20 Jan 2010 03:36 
John79
You may try the following. I hope you know how to modify miniBB files.

Edit templates/form.js

Locate the code block in the function insertAtCursor which says

myField.focus();
myField.scrollTop = scrollTop;
return;
Change it to the following

var agt=navigator.userAgent.toLowerCase();
if(agt.indexOf("safari") != -1) window.location.href="#newreply";
else myField.focus();

myField.scrollTop = scrollTop;
return;
miniBB is the one so far board program which works with no problems on my mobile phone. So I understand developers, because they don't want to overload it with the AJAX features and so on. But this Safari fix is pretty simple... for those who know what to do :-)

Author Radzhi
#11 | Posted: 20 Jan 2010 03:37 
P.S. For Chrome browser you may add or edit the same condition... I don't have Chrome so I don't know which name would be there.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#12 | Posted: 20 Jan 2010 04:30 
Hmm, so it appears focus statement doesn't work in Safari?

What a beautiful browser.

Definitely, I am here to fix Safari and Google problems :-D

Author tom322
#13 | Posted: 20 Jan 2010 22:01 
It of course appears to be Safari and Chrome bug. Even though it's a little strange because when a user goes to the registration page (in Safari or chrome): https://www.minibb.com/forums/index.php?action=registernew then the cursor is focused correctly in the captcha box..

Oh well, it will probably be best to wait for them to fix their coding.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#14 | Posted: 21 Jan 2010 02:17 
tom322
Did you try the solution above?

Also, if the above solution works, after Quoting, when you click on arrow-up icon near "Your Reply" statement, does it move to the proper post in Safari?

I can't believe focus method does not work in Safari. It's so pity! Focus worked even in firs versions of Netscape as I remember... it's a very basic JavaScript function.

Author tom322
#15 | Posted: 21 Jan 2010 08:45 
Paul:
tom322
Did you try the solution above?
I did and it works pretty well - after clicking on the 'arrow-up' the user is not taken as precisely to the exact message, but to the 'middle' of the message (even though the anchor link is highlighted). So I think this is a good solution for now until they fix their bug..

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 
Bugs miniBB Support Forums / Bugs /
 Quote not always working?
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Proceed with the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑