®
Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
The Other miniBB Support Forums / The Other /  

$post_text_maxlength

Author sandren
Partaker
#1 | Posted: 25 Nov 2009 18:33 
Are there any means of removing (or extending) the 'hard' limit on the maximum length of posts? Setting this variable to '0' doesn't seem to help.

Author tom322
#2 | Posted: 25 Nov 2009 19:04 
Put 900000 :)

Author sandren
Partaker
#3 | Posted: 25 Nov 2009 20:42 
Is that as high as I can set it? I'm working with very large documents.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#4 | Posted: 26 Nov 2009 04:04 
This option's value should correspond to the size of the 'post_text' field under 'posts' table. By default this field has a 'TEXT' string type, and regarding mySQL manual, it's allowed to store up to 65536 bytes in such field. That's why putting 900000 will not give a big effect, since mySQL will cut spare chars anyway.

For using bigger values, you should change the type of the above mentioned field to MEDIUMTEXT or LONGTEXT.

"Very large" documents are not actually suitable for searched context. As I heard, search engines most likely could even ignore text documents larger than 100 Kb in size. It of course depends on the nature of your forums, but from my experience, having TEXT field and $post_text_maxlength set to 30000 is enough for almost all kind of even big texts.

Author sandren
Partaker
#5 | Posted: 26 Nov 2009 08:39 
It's a private forum so search engine optimization is not a consideration. Thanks for your help!

The Other miniBB Support Forums / The Other /
 $post_text_maxlength
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Try the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑