miniBB ® 

miniBB

®
Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
Custom Tutorials and Modifications miniBB Support Forums / Custom Tutorials and Modifications /  

Link to last poster's profile in the latest discussions

Author tom322
#1 | Posted: 30 May 2006 16:58 
How to get link to last poster's profile in the latest discussions?

I think it should be something like below - - but how to determine userid (X)?

<a href="https://www.minibb.com/forums/{$indexphp}action=userinfo&user=X">{$lastPoster}</ a>

Thanks,

tom

Author realitybytes
Partaker
#2 | Posted: 30 May 2006 17:19 
Just incase anybody searches for the solution will post it here

open main_last_discuss_cell.html

change

{$lastPoster}

to

<a href="https://www.minibb.com/forums/{$indexphp}action=userinfo&user={$lastPosterID}"> {$lastPoster} </a>

Author jontrac
Partaker
#3 | Posted: 18 Nov 2009 03:33 
The code does not work. I've been looking around for this for ages but does not seem to find a working solution. Maybe Paul can help on this?

It would be nice if the Topic Author and Last Poster are click-able.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#4 | Posted: 18 Nov 2009 07:33 
The solution above is right regarding last poster's ID, but you shall enable $textLd of setup_options.php, because information on latest poster comes from 'posts' table, it's not stored in 'topics' table. Enabling this option means your forums front page will execute slower.

Regarding topic starter's link, it could be pretty the same type:

<a href="https://www.minibb.com/forums/{$indexphp}action=userinfo&amp;user={$cols[2]}">{$topicAuthor}</a>
$cols[2] stands for 'main_last_discuss_cell' template and for 'main_topics_cell' template. For topic's author, you don't have to enable $textLd option because such information comes directly from 'topics' table.

Please note that this simple solution would work only if you have forums for registered members only. If Guests may post on forums as well, the link may produce 'user=0' for Guests i.e. link to the not-existing profile. For getting around with Guests, you should modify core files and add new conditions to them, resp. bb_func_ldisc.php and bb_func_vtopic.php.

There are currently no other solutions, because as we think, adding a lot of links to the topic listing pages looks very confusing. Bulletin board's purpose is content, not users profiles. That's why this information is spare. Additionally, some search engines may try to index user profiles instead of a really important content, if you will provide so many links.

So, this is everything we have at the moment.

Author jontrac
Partaker
#5 | Posted: 18 Nov 2009 10:48 
Thanks Paul. It really works!

Since my board's main purpose is to support my business's customers, it is set to member-post only. Therefore, this feature should be fine for us.

Regarding to the issue that some search engines may try to index user profiles, may we use rel="nofollow" to prevent them to do so?

Author tom322
#6 | Posted: 18 Nov 2009 13:00 
jontrac:
Regarding to the issue that some search engines may try to index user profiles, may we use rel="nofollow" to prevent them to do so?
make sure that in the header:

<meta name="ROBOTS" content="NOINDEX,NOFOLLOW" />

instead of using rel="nofollow".

Author jontrac
Partaker
#7 | Posted: 18 Nov 2009 18:54 
If we set meta tag to no follow, search engines will not index any content of the board at all. What I'm trying to do is to prevent them from indexing the user profiles. Maybe adding rel="nofollow" to profile links may help?

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#8 | Posted: 19 Nov 2009 02:27 
It could help for Google I guess. Not for other search engines.

Author jontrac
Partaker
#9 | Posted: 19 Nov 2009 02:33 
Thanks Paul. An alternative solution would be developing the robots.txt file. This may prevent the bots to crawl user profiles. I will definitely seek more info on this.

Author tom322
#10 | Posted: 19 Nov 2009 10:55 
jontrac:
If we set meta tag to no follow, search engines will not index any content of the board at all
Since you were referring to the userinfo page only, I posted suggestion regarding this particular page only, not the whole board. It seems you try to find solutions around the correct solution ;).

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#11 | Posted: 20 Nov 2009 04:02 
tom322
There is just a little misunderstanding ;-) Initially I've thought, too, that you are referring to the front or topics listing page.

I guess initially miniBB has NOINDEX,FOLLOW for user profiles. So you don't have to put anything additionally.

Author tom322
#12 | Posted: 20 Nov 2009 08:50 
Paul, you're right.. :) I thought there was some custom change done because I also remember the userinfo page had NOINDEX on it..

Custom Tutorials and Modifications miniBB Support Forums / Custom Tutorials and Modifications /
 Link to last poster's profile in the latest discussions
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Get the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑