| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
FAQ miniBB Support Forums / FAQ /  

Moving forum to the new provider server or URL / backup questions

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next »

Author Kirill
Partaker
#1 | Posted: 15 Nov 2002 10:26 
My site is moving to new provider.

How can I save&load all data to the new provider?

Please help me!!!

Author Team
8-)
#2 | Posted: 15 Nov 2002 10:31 
Kirill
1.Copy all the files from miniBB forums firectory.
2.Dump the mysql database (you can use various tools for this - mysqldump in shell, mysql front, phpMyAdmin).
3.Copy all files back to your new host.
4.Restore mysql database from your dump files (again, use various tools).
5.Write new login/password, probably database name in setup_options.php

There could not be many problems - moving miniBB from one host to another is the same simple thing as moving usual, well-written site. :)

Author teva
Partaker
#3 | Posted: 6 Nov 2003 17:09 
Shortly i am moving my page and forum to another isp and new sql server. How can i completly move the whole forum with all the posts to another server?
tnx

Author Team
8-)
#4 | Posted: 6 Nov 2003 17:22 
1) Make database dump (with PHPmyAdmin, mysql front or whatever)
2) Import dump to new database
3) Copy all minibb files to new server
4) Edit URL option in setup_options

Author Bob
#5 | Posted: 10 Sep 2004 00:58 
I'm obliged to quit minibb for other softwares,
(permanently, or for a while).

How can I get back the data I put in minibb ?

Does Minibb leave the data free to be used anywhere,
by letting their authors get them back easily ?
(Many other softwares' DB do).

Or, on the contrary, anything put inside minibb is trapped and lost ?

Thanks for a prompt and clear answer,
if you can.

Author Team
8-)
#6 | Posted: 10 Sep 2004 10:26 
Actually, data is not "saved in miniBB", but saved in mySQL database (or another, which you use). So, you can easily export data from mySQL and import in another software (writing special import script for example, or whatever).

Author Pascal
Partaker
#7 | Posted: 16 May 2005 11:57 
Hello

I want to move my forum to a new domain and host. Can I simply install the script (and adjust some settings) on the new domain and import the mysql database from the old host ?

And what to do with the links that are included in messages across the forum (i.e. smileys) ? Because they all point to the old domain name ... Is there some kind of "Search & Replace" function in phpMyAdmin ?

Regards,
P.

Author Ivan
Advanced Member
#8 | Posted: 16 May 2005 12:32 
1. Yes. Simply make a backup of the BD, make the new empty DB and inport the backup in it.
2. As per the smilies, I think that they have relative path and you would not need to update them. But for any case ask someone other. too.

Author Pascal
Partaker
#9 | Posted: 16 May 2005 12:56 
2. No relative paths to smilies are saved into the database. It's the full path that is saved, so anyone who knows of some kind of Search & Replace function in phpMyAdmin ?

P.

Author Ivan
Advanced Member
#10 | Posted: 16 May 2005 13:06 
I haven't installed smilies :)

Than you can replace the paths in the database before importing it in the new place. I edited my database many times. Simply open it with Word or similar and search>replace the first part of the paths. Save it under new name (for any case), import it and you're ready to run.

Author Pascal
Partaker
#11 | Posted: 16 May 2005 13:46 
That's an interesting solution and probably the best one !

Thank you very much.

P.

P.S. Note from miniBB team: The SQL command below may help you in updating some old-type URLs to the new ones.

UPDATE minibbtable_posts SET post_text = REPLACE(post_text, 'search_old_domain.com', 'replace_new_domain.com') WHERE post_text LIKE '%search_olddomain.com%';

It actually replaces all phrases like 'search_old_domain.com' to the 'replace_new_domain.com'. 100% proven on one of the sites.

Author Vishal
Partaker
#12 | Posted: 7 Jul 2005 13:34 
Can we expect to see a backup/restore forum database addon like in phpbb?

Author Team
8-)
#13 | Posted: 7 Jul 2005 15:07 
There are hundreds of database management tools available. Take phpMyAdmin, for example... why we need to program something which is already programmed? ;-)

However, we will think about such kind of addon...

Author Ojlert
Partaker
#14 | Posted: 18 Jul 2005 21:31 
Is there something one should think of when making a backup through phpmyadmin or is it just to choose "export" and ignore all those boxes one can select?

Could it be a problem if someone writes in the forum pr make some changes while making the backup?

Author Team
8-)
#15 | Posted: 19 Jul 2005 10:48 
In phpMyAdmin, just select all tables and make database dump. Don't know much about simultaneous changes... it's more related to phpMyAdmin software. I think, there will be no problems with it.

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 
FAQ miniBB Support Forums / FAQ /
 Moving forum to the new provider server or URL / backup questions
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Check out the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑