®
Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
How To miniBB Support Forums / How To /  

Ignore/Delete 1st Post by the topic creator

Author Guest
~
#1 | Posted: 21 Aug 2009 01:39 
I'm fairly new to minibb and hope that someone can point me at the right direction on a specific problem i'm having.

One of the requirements for my the site is that all topics for forums will be created by the admin and users are not allowed to create anything apart from commenting on the topics.

The problem i'm having is that when a topic is created i have to insert a comment as well otherwise i can't create a topic but i don't want to show this comment to any of the users.

I tried deleting this post from the database and updating "posts_count" column but still it messes up my number of post count for some reason.

Could somebody please tell me on how to solve this issue? (either to ignore the 1st post by topic creator or to delete it without messing up anything else)

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#2 | Posted: 21 Aug 2009 01:58 
You can delete the first post, after in the same topic, some another message has been posted. There will appear a "Delete" link near the first message automatically.

Else it has absolutely no meaning! You can't have a topic just with a topic title without message in it. It's impossible with miniBB (as well as with any other board I suppose).

Additionally, posting a descriptive message will give your members some food to think and comment. Topic title is just a little summary of what the topic is about.

Author Guest
~
#3 | Posted: 21 Aug 2009 03:04 
Thanks for the quick reply.

Paul:
You can delete the first post, after in the same topic, some another message has been posted. There will appear a "Delete" link near the first message automatically.
- This will be my last option but trying to find a different easier way

Let me give you more info on what exactly i'm trying to do here.

Instead of having a topic & desc. i'm displaying an article (text file) depending on the topic_id and i want users to comment on the article.

Everything works fine if i have put a description when creating the topic title.

I'm trying to find away to hide this desc. so that when a user clicks on the topic title they will see ONLY the article and if they want they can comment on the article.

Cheers

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#4 | Posted: 21 Aug 2009 09:03 
It appears your custom solution and the code, I can't give any recommendations without knowing your code's structure (and actually that belongs to our paid service).

Anyway, the best way is to associate your article's ID with topic_id of miniBB in your articles database. In that case the new topic should be created, and the topic title/description provided only when user posts the first comment to the article (i.e. the topic title will be your article's title, message will be comment's text). You will need also to update forum tables on this operation.

How To miniBB Support Forums / How To /
 Ignore/Delete 1st Post by the topic creator
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Check out the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑