Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
Re-cycled miniBB Support Forums / Re-cycled /  

Tutorial on how to customize minibb?

Author Paal_Joachim
Partaker
#1 | Posted: 4 Mar 2009 03:36 
Hi

I wonder if there are some easy steps (a tutorial that I have missed?) on how to customize miniBB to work for ones own site?

I would like to figure this out and create a video tutorial, and/or put together an easy to follow how to guide.

As I am having a difficult time finding customization information on this site. It would be great to have tutorials available which easily can be found on the site.

I bet there are people out there with lots of tips/tutorials/good written instruction/ on how they themselves have customized miniBB. Lets share and make it easier for all of us.

Have a great day!

Paal Joachim

web design teacher in Oslo, Norway
mksogn.com - student project web site.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#2 | Posted: 4 Mar 2009 05:06 
I suppose such tutorial is not possible, because under "customization" everybody means a different term. It very depends on what kind of changes would you like to apply.

I am sure our forums and the main website already provide enough basic information at least where to start from, so you just need to be precise on your question, and/or give it more dedication on search...

Author Paal_Joachim
Partaker
#3 | Posted: 4 Mar 2009 06:16 
What I am thinking about is someone giving instructions on how they went from a basic miniBB layout to fit into the design they have on their site. The steps they had to follow. Example would be changing the header html file, setup options php file etc. (I have found some info on the forums)

Changing the header, adding/removing text, background, centering so that the forum flows with the web site.

Figuring out what needs to be changed so the forum flows with the web site design. More precise would be that I need the miniBB forum to fit in with my site mksogn.com, and I am trying to figure out which changes I need to make.

Those are my thoughts..:)

Thank you for your reply Paul!

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#4 | Posted: 4 Mar 2009 06:46 
Each layout customization requires custom steps, because each website is different (pay attention at some implementations presented under our Gallery - there can't be a universal solution, because miniBB is designed to fit a lot of variations).

Your case is very simple I guess. You need to adjust colors and fonts modifying bb_default_style.css file (or implementing your own CSS, let's say, naming it bb_mksogn_style.css from the copy of our original sheet - but then don't forget to specify it under setup_options.php -> $skin setting). Adjusting colors means you change something, refresh the page and see what happens :-) Also analyze HTML code generated by forum program, to study the classes used in tables. I suppose, in your case you should just modify .gbody class to change the background color, then look up for 'font-family' and 'font-size' in CSS file to apply fonts.

Then you would modify templates/main_header.html and templates/main_footer.html, copying HTML parts from your root page over them. Nobody can explain it since it's part of your experience, the same as nobody could give you instructions how to interact with a women you would like to build friendship with ;-)

All in all, if you prefer to see a practical example how this could be done in a couple of hours, just spend 2 Norway dinners price to pay our premium support fee, and avoid hours, if not days of work.

Re-cycled miniBB Support Forums / Re-cycled /
 Tutorial on how to customize minibb?
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Check out the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑