Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
Specific miniBB Support Forums / Specific /  

UK Pound character truncates posts

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next »

Author sdetheridge
Partaker
#1 | Posted: 24 Nov 2008 03:36 
On my minibb installation, when I type the £ character, the post gets truncated at the point where I type it. (The character itself is not seen.)

Any idea why this happens? I'm using version 2.2b (but it seems to work here!)

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#2 | Posted: 24 Nov 2008 03:57 
We would like to force you first read forum rules regarding bug reports: https://www.minibb.com/forums/7_843_0.html#msg25843

If it works here, and if it works on minibb demo, that could mean the problem comes somewhere exclusively on your side. So we could determine what's wrong only investigating your own server, at the very deep level, seeing what happens in database etc. Without debugging, we have no ideas what's wrong.

I would recommend still to change your forums encoding from iso-8859-1 (if it's set up that way currently) to iso-8859-2.

Author sdetheridge
Partaker
#3 | Posted: 24 Nov 2008 04:12 
Apologies for posting in the wong place.

I've tried using iso-8859-2 and also utf-8 but neither make any difference. I've also checked the database and the post in the 'minibbtable_posts' table is truncated also... So it is a problem with storing the post, and not rendering it.

It happens with different browsers and on different machines, so it's definitely a problem with the way things are set up on the server. Is there anything else I can try?

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#4 | Posted: 24 Nov 2008 08:34 
Well, of course if the post is truncated in database, it will be visibly truncated on the page too :-) The reason happens somewhere on the way between you send the data and the server accepts it... maybe miniBB could be the reason, but so far I didn't meet such problem. So you need to catch/debug all steps while you are making the post.

£

Above is an example in default miniBB it works...

Author Bluesplayer
Partaker
#5 | Posted: 25 Nov 2008 03:39 
I use the code

& followed by pound;

as using the £ symbol on my forum doesn't work with Firefox.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#6 | Posted: 25 Nov 2008 04:55 
As you see guys it all works with Firefox... I am using that too. So without investigation, it's not possible for me to determine the problem.

Author Bluesplayer
Partaker
#7 | Posted: 20 May 2014 19:33 
This problem has reared it's head again. When a post includes the £ sign the preview will not show any content, also should a user attempt to post the content this error message in red appears ...

"Your message is either empty or too short to be posted on this forum, based on our content rules. Please, edit your posting, and try submitting again"

If the ascii code is used for the £ sign the post will work.

Author Bluesplayer
Partaker
#8 | Posted: 20 May 2014 19:44 
This problem isn't occuring on my own server but the hosting of a site I developed. Here is the link to the phpinfo file I placed on the server.

http://tapitout.co.uk/phpinfo.php

Author Bluesplayer
Partaker
#9 | Posted: 20 May 2014 19:47 
I also notice that after receiving the red warning message stating to use the 'Go Back' link to alter the message the 'Post New Topic' fails to work and the only way to address this is to reload the forum page.

I know some of my code had deprecated errors when I moved my site to the paid hosting and this was causing a program to fail. Could it be something to do with that?

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#10 | Posted: 20 May 2014 19:55 
Phpinfo is not helpful at that.

It could be related to the encoding of the page you use.
Or may be if the text is inserted from MS Word to IE, which loves to substitute its own codes for characters.

I've tested here on miniBB with the latest Firefox and it appears to work. Not sure what the problem on your end is.

Author Bluesplayer
Partaker
#11 | Posted: 20 May 2014 19:59 
What I have found is that they are using different database encoding. My server is using utf8_general_ci whereas they are using utf8mb4_general_ci. Maybe that is the problem? Would it cause any problems if I altered it?

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#12 | Posted: 20 May 2014 20:45 
I can't be sure on it, because I have no place to test it. However UTF8-based database should handle any character. Here, your problem appears much before the database starts to act. It's the browser's encoding problem. Whatever message the browser sends, miniBB can't recognize it and it thinks for some reasons it's empty. I could only guess what's causing this on the server...

Author Bluesplayer
Partaker
#13 | Posted: 20 May 2014 20:50 
I altered my own server to be the same as the other and it made no difference.

What I have noticed is that if the title has a £ sign in it that will fail to show in the preview but the message will if no £ sign. If I attempt to post a message with the title containing a £ sign the topic title doesn't post but the message does. You end up with a title-less post. Everything works if you use the ascii code for the £ sign.

The problem is both with Firefox and Google Chrome - not tested Explorer.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#14 | Posted: 20 May 2014 21:44 
Without having an access to debug this, I can't suggest anything exact, sorry. I've tested both the title and the message and both work OK. You may try on minibb.org. If you find a way to repeat this on my end, I could probably tell what the problem is or fix it.

Author Bluesplayer
Partaker
#15 | Posted: 20 May 2014 21:47 
Bit hard to repeat it your end as it is the same as my server by the looks of it - everything works!

If you are up forrit I could give you access to the server where the forum is. You could debug it from there. Would be handy I should think to find out what is going on?

I have emailed the host provider to see if they can shine a light on it.

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 
Specific miniBB Support Forums / Specific /
 UK Pound character truncates posts
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Proceed with the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑