miniBB

®
Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
Specific miniBB Support Forums / Specific /  

Capital usernames?!?

Author Fox
#1 | Posted: 8 Jul 2008 10:51 
when anybody (except admin) registeres a username with some capital letter, he cannot login. (no error messages or something.... it just blinks and nothing more...) what should do i do with it?

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#2 | Posted: 8 Jul 2008 13:22 
1. Would be great to see your URL to check it. Are you registering Latin symbols only?

2. Try to set $loginsCase=FALSE; in setup_options.php

Author JamieC
#3 | Posted: 26 Oct 2008 18:59 
I've installed miniBB this afternoon and have the same problem. You can see it here:

http://forum.cgisys.com

I can get it to work only by setting: $loginsCase=FALSE; so usernames are case sensitive. Leaving it commented out, or set to TRUE doesn't seem to work.

This is with what I presume is the latest version. Otherwise it's a nice, snappy piece of software :-)

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#4 | Posted: 27 Oct 2008 07:21 
JamieC
It seems $loginsCase is set to FALSE now so I can't test how it works (I registered 2 fakes accounts on your forums, one of them is CapiTAL - but I can check it only if you set this to TRUE).

Author JamieC
#5 | Posted: 27 Oct 2008 18:11 
Paul, thanks - I noticed them & wondered...

I've now set $loginsCase=TRUE; and although you can register with mixed case, you can't login..

The MySQL tables are "latin2_czech_cs" (Czech/case sensitive).

I don't mind having case insensitive logins - in fact I prefer them, because the collation is case-insensitive, anyway, but it did throw me for a while.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#6 | Posted: 28 Oct 2008 03:29 
JamieC
What kind of mySQL version do you use?

Your problem seems very specific and unfortunately without deep debugging, I can't say what's wrong. Whatever I can say the problem belongs to your mySQL settings or something else on your side... On miniBB demo page we have $loginsCase=TRUE; and as you may see, this setting works from all aspects... so you can register some user name containing both uppercase and lowercase, then log-in using lowercase only, and it works.

On your server, there is something strange, because when I register something in uppercase/lowercase, and if that setting is set to TRUE, then I can log-in only with lowercase... not with my original user name.

Author JamieC
#7 | Posted: 28 Oct 2008 04:09 
Paul

Yes. I'm using mySQL 4.1.18 - it's installed by my hosting company, so it's not under my direct control. I suspect it's to do with the "latin2_czech_cs" collation & the way this is actually indexed in the b-tree nodes on the server. I'm not very familiar with mySQL, having used c-tree for years, but that's what I'd look for with c-tree.

So, nothing to do with miniBB :-)

As I mentioned, I'll put it back to $loginsCase=FALSE because you can't have fex. 'CapitaL' and 'capital' as different users anyway!

Many thanks for your time & effort.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#8 | Posted: 28 Oct 2008 05:25 
Ok, that optional change is the best method for you then. Good luck in using the forums!

Specific miniBB Support Forums / Specific /
 Capital usernames?!?
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Proceed with the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑