miniBB ® 

miniBB

®
Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
Official Addons and Solutions miniBB Support Forums / Official Addons and Solutions /  

CAPTCHA (Human Authorization)

Page  Page 4 of 9:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next »

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#46 | Posted: 13 Jun 2008 02:31 
otto
"Most preferably" actually means we didn't tested the add-on with such low version of GD and can't say in advance if it will work with it. It's possible it doesn't work exactly because of that. For determining a reason, view the source of Captcha page, locate Captcha's HTML code and paste it directly in the browser's address field. If it will say something like "Impossible to generate an image because it contains errors", view that page's source again and there you will probably find the missing function or the reason of error.

If you are not sure why it's not working, try to contact me privately providing your server details, I could debug and investigate it at no fee (and maybe also let the default add-on work with older version of GD).

Author donahue87
Partaker
#47 | Posted: 14 Oct 2008 11:32 
Despite having the CAPTCHA plugin installed, my boards are still getting flooded with messages. Apparently, someone is getting around my flood protection (scripting and macros?). Any ideas how I can stop this?

Thanks,
Donahue87

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#48 | Posted: 14 Oct 2008 13:04 
donahue87
First of all, you must be sure this is really automated spam. As it was discussed some time ago, Chinese spammers can spam a lot manually and there is no work around it, except banning their IP addresses, preferably the whole sub-network.

Also, you can experiment with Captcha settings and set different fonts, different characters number amount, different colors etc. If somebody found a way to break the visual implementation (though I really doubt it), you can always set up the new Captcha layout and that way let the intruders to work on a different algorithm.

Author donahue87
Partaker
#49 | Posted: 14 Oct 2008 16:48 
Paul,
Thanks for the help. I think you are right in that it is not automated spam.

Author donahue87
Partaker
#50 | Posted: 15 Oct 2008 12:28 
I now know what the problem is, I need to make guests enable captcha every time but I cant find out how to do this. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Donahue87

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#51 | Posted: 15 Oct 2008 15:07 
donahue87
Under bb_plugins.php, there are few Captcha options. Try to set:

$checkEachRequest=TRUE; // strong mode - TRUE enables Captcha for all postings, and does not save session's authorization variable

Author donahue87
Partaker
#52 | Posted: 15 Oct 2008 16:08 
Works! Thanks for the prompt response.

Author Guest
~
#53 | Posted: 27 Oct 2008 14:15 
In latest version of addon_authorize.php, it seems that there is a parse error on line 22 !!!

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#54 | Posted: 28 Oct 2008 03:20 
Guest:
In latest version of addon_authorize.php, it seems that there is a parse error on line 22 !!!
This is quite impossible if you didn't get a "pirated" version of this add-on, and if you have installed it properly (did you?) and if your own custom include doesn't cause it... The latest version of this add-on is installed here on our forums, and in many other places. We would definitely notice it earlier if that would be true.

Author Guest
~
#55 | Posted: 1 Dec 2008 12:24 
I have bought CAPTCHA, but it doesn't work at all.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#56 | Posted: 2 Dec 2008 03:09 
Guest:
I have bought CAPTCHA, but it doesn't work at all.
It means you have installed it incorrectly.

Author gare
Partaker
#57 | Posted: 23 Aug 2009 22:19 
Should this be done before pasting the code into bb_plugins.php:

QUOTE FROM README.TXT for CAPTCHA

Set also

$displayPopUpLink=TRUE;

in bb_plugins.code.txt if you want the pop-up link appearing near each form.

Author Zuzu
#58 | Posted: 5 Aug 2010 12:24 
I've just installed CAPTCHA, but the image with the code doesn't show. I see only grey field.
On my error log file I see:
PHP Warning: imagettftext(): Could not read font in ...path.../addon_captcha.php on line 69

FreeType and the GD Library are installed on my server. Maybe problem in libraries' settings?

How can I solve this?

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#59 | Posted: 8 Aug 2010 03:28 
It may be related to the fonts path, which is specified under addon_captcha_options.php -> $fontsPath. Try to set full server path to the fonts folder there.

As it is mentioned in add-on's README,

- $fontsPath - in some cases, it's possible to set relative path to the fonts directory (f.e., './fonts/'). However, in most cases, it's better to provide FULL SERVER PATH (like '/home/local/www/forums/fonts/' etc.) to the fonts directory, else this could be the reason of Captcha not working. Be sure this value contains a SLASH at the end! This script, when placed into forums directory, displays absolute server path:

<?php
echo getcwd();
?>

Author Zuzu
#60 | Posted: 9 Aug 2010 13:33 
Paul
I correct font path to path I get by "echo getcwd()". Unfortunately it didn't solve the problem. I still cannot see the captcha and error text is the same.

Page  Page 4 of 9:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next » 
Official Addons and Solutions miniBB Support Forums / Official Addons and Solutions /
 CAPTCHA (Human Authorization)
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Try the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑