Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
Specific miniBB Support Forums / Specific /  

Images, avatars and icons stopped loading

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next »

Author quasi
Partaker
#1 | Posted: 13 Nov 2007 18:54 
I cannot get the images avatars and bullet icons to load on the forum. If I load the image in a seperate window it works. What has happened? The only change I had made is that users will be redirected to the site if they don't enter www.
Help.

Author quasi
Partaker
#2 | Posted: 13 Nov 2007 18:56 
I'm sorry I forgot to mention it had been working fine for over a year.

Author tom322
#3 | Posted: 13 Nov 2007 19:15 
The only change I had made is that users will be redirected to the site if they don't enter www.
When you reverse this change, is everything working correctly as before?

Author quasi
Partaker
#4 | Posted: 13 Nov 2007 19:51 
Well thats a little strange as well. I had that done a few days ago and it worked up until a couple of hours ago. I made the change in conjuction with changing routers( netgear to airport extreme) but like I said that was a few days ago. I have not tried to change it back (have to go to godaddy). The most immediate thing done was I rebooted the box (webserver is a local box in my office).

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#5 | Posted: 14 Nov 2007 03:46 
I have no ideas.

Be sure you have not changed $main_url option or it is properly configured. If you right click on the image and choose "Properties", you'll see its URL and it will be probably wrong.

Author quasi
Partaker
#6 | Posted: 14 Nov 2007 08:47 
Why was this put in the trash?

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#7 | Posted: 14 Nov 2007 09:00 
Because it appears to be not a miniBB issue, but your own problem.

Be sure your question is interesting for others.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#8 | Posted: 14 Nov 2007 09:05 
Additionally, you have not provided nor direct URL to your forums, nor information which could help to investigate your problem. I guess nobody from us is interested in investigating it further, sorry.

I could only tell you that if it worked for years then stopped to work, something WAS changed though. The program is not a human, it can't change its mind.

Author quasi
Partaker
#9 | Posted: 14 Nov 2007 09:11 
Well, one last question then please.
First the $main_url is correct and if you right click on it to open in new window you see the image.

The question:
Can this be bypassed so that the image can be loaded directly from the site rather than going out on the web and back because it is prepended by the $main_url? I guess can you just change $main_url to be the site home dir on the server without causing any issues?

Author Anonymous
#10 | Posted: 14 Nov 2007 10:09 
Have you tried right clicking on where an icon should be and checking the properties? This should show you the path where its trying to load the image from.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#11 | Posted: 14 Nov 2007 10:27 
For sure you NEED to change $main_url to match your full URL to the forums. Else how it should work?.. All images are loaded this way.

I am more than sure that $main_url is set incorrectly and if you see the URLs images are referring to, you will see when the error comes from.

Author quasi
Partaker
#12 | Posted: 14 Nov 2007 10:28 
Yes, it's correct. As mentioned earlier I can even right click and open the images in a new window.

Author quasi
Partaker
#13 | Posted: 14 Nov 2007 10:48 
My question about the $main_url pertains to this:
Rather than have: $main_url http://www.somewhere.com "Which is set correctly here"
Have: $main_url /localpath_to_web_dir
This way the images would load directly from the server rather than going out to the web and back which seems inefficient.
What's nice about this is if you are working on a website that is not online you can still load the images.
In talking to others maintaining forums trying to solve this problem they were confused on why the images load this way because on theirs they do not, they load directly from the server.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#14 | Posted: 14 Nov 2007 12:24 
I still can't understand either your problem is related to miniBB afterall.

In miniBB ALL pictures, ALL avatars, ALL other graphical stuff is ALWAYS pointing to the FULL URL which is specified in $main_url.

Or do you have miniBB 1.x series from the past years?..

I don't understand how could you open the miniBB images in new window as well. So far Internet Explorer or Mozilla are allowing to view only properties of non-resizable images, and in miniBB almost all graphics is not resizable.

Also regarding working locally - I am myself have a local server where miniBB is installed and running with no problem. The only different setting on the local server is $main_url.

On miniBB.com it is https://www.minibb.com/forums
On local server it is http://localhost/minibb/forums

What else?..

Author quasi
Partaker
#15 | Posted: 15 Nov 2007 09:46 
The problem is resolved.

I had to cancel the forwarding and masking configurations on my account at godaddy and return to using just cnames (apparantly the cname configuration had broken down because an ip address change had not had a chance to propagate through the DNS servers). This (masking) was not allowing image links to resolve (I still don't understand why you could right click and view them however).

It still seems like it would be more efficient to access the images directly on the host (/siteDir/img/eye.gif) rather than having the box go back out on the web to resolve back to itself to access an image (http://www.site.com/img/eye.gif).

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 
Specific miniBB Support Forums / Specific /
 Images, avatars and icons stopped loading
 Share Topic's Link

This topic is closed. New replies are not allowed.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Try the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑