miniBB ® 

miniBB

®
Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
Specific miniBB Support Forums / Specific /  

How can I add a new forum from outside code?

Author dekelver
Partaker
#1 | Posted: 27 Apr 2007 15:19 
I've integrated miniBB into my site (unique code set here by the way... ;-) ) and have all the user information set up correctly and working.

Now I'm ready to try the next step. On my site, you've got the ability to make a team/group of users. What I want to do is when one of them is created I want to also create a private forum for that group. I've got the private forum code up and running, but what I want to do is create the forum and get the ID back at the same time as the group is created.

Question: Do you have an API or function that I can use to create a forum from my other code, or do I have to go against the DB directly? I'd prefer a method, but if one's not available (I couldn't find one), then I'll write the db code.

Thank you for your help. Once I get the answer to this one, I've got another question that's even more fun!

Jeff

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#2 | Posted: 30 Apr 2007 03:18 
There is no API and I guess what you need to do when the group is created, is:

a) create a new forum record in DB
b) get ID of the newly created forum
c) get IDs of all users you want to be allowed for that forum
d) program a function that modifies bb_specials.php and fills $clForums and $clForumsUsers arrays in the proper format.

Author dekelver
Partaker
#3 | Posted: 1 May 2007 20:53 
That's what I thought I would have to do. I've already got that implemented and working just fine. I was hoping that there would be an interface so that upgrading wouldn't be as big of an issue. I guess that I'm integrating things a little bit more than most would do.

Thank you for the reply!

Jeff

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#4 | Posted: 2 May 2007 07:11 
upgrading wouldn't be as big of an issue

- well, this modification should not affect the upgrades at all. bb_specials.php is your own custom file which should not be upgraded when you upgrade the main miniBB core.

Specific miniBB Support Forums / Specific /
 How can I add a new forum from outside code?
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Install the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑