®
Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
How To miniBB Support Forums / How To /  

Allow Search Engines / Block Users

Author michael1234
Partaker
#1 | Posted: 3 Mar 2007 00:36 
Is there something I can add in the htaccess to allow search engines to index a section of the forum that I ccurrently have set as

$warningForums=array(1,2); in the bb_plugins.php file?

I would like it where they will still crawl, and when the search engines index the page, and then users click on it, they have to login.

I have a list of some search engine ips.

Thanks!

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#2 | Posted: 3 Mar 2007 04:33 
It's impossible.

Search engine is like a "guest" on your board. So if you disallow guests, you disallow search engine as well.

I think it would be possible to handle search crawlers' IP addresses some way, but I doubt it is worth to implement... First of all you need to have a list of ALL IPs which is near to impossible, since search engine companies are constantly upgrading their servers and changing locations probably. Thus that way you can't know about "new" IP-address of the unknown search engines.

Author tom322
#3 | Posted: 3 Mar 2007 11:16 
I agree with Paul - whatever your "guest" visitor can access is what search engine crawler accesses too (so it won't index pages available only after you log in, but anything else is indexeable).

How To miniBB Support Forums / How To /
 Allow Search Engines / Block Users
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Check out the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑