Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
Re-cycled miniBB Support Forums / Re-cycled /  

including the forum in another page

Author 2obvious
Partaker
#1 | Posted: 27 Dec 2006 00:11 
Integration question:

After some research, I've discovered a method of URL redirection that involves siphoning everything through a single page (http://www.alistapart.com/stories/succeed/).

I'd like to use this with my forum. In my setup, every link to my site gets routed to the file index.php, which then parses the URL and includes the proper page.

It works outside of the forum. Real addresses show pages, and bad ones show error messages. However, the forum only gives me a blank page. If I print() a test of whether the fileExists() right before making the include, I can see a "1." But after that, nada.

I figure there must be something about the forum design that makes what I'm trying impossible. If it's not too much trouble, I was wondering, as far as technical theory goes, what am I not getting? What is it that makes this app impossible to nest inside a PHP include()?

(Naturally, if my hunch is wrong and this is possible, let me know this, instead.)

--E.

Author 2obvious
Partaker
#2 | Posted: 27 Dec 2006 23:31 
This example looks very much like the explanation for including in your own PHP script (https://www.minibb.com/forums/manual.html#includeindex). Is this your suggestion?

I didn't realize that this technique could be used for including the forum in another script! That would be exactly what I need. Let me spend some with it, and I'll let you know how it goes.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#3 | Posted: 29 Dec 2006 11:23 
I think example on forums is more universal, and I will probably change it also in manual soon.

Yes, this is my suggestion.

Author 2obvious
Partaker
#4 | Posted: 29 Dec 2006 15:20 
Still no success. Here's another way of describing the problem:

I installed the forum in a directory called /comments/. If I create another file in that directory and include("index.php"), it works fine.

However, if I go up one directory, create a file, and include("comments/index.php"), it does not.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#5 | Posted: 30 Dec 2006 07:54 
Sorry, I can point only you to the solution, but not investigate what your problem is... we're providing such kind of support only for a fee.

Author 2obvious
Partaker
#6 | Posted: 30 Dec 2006 11:32 
Fair enough. I was curious whether the directory problem was my specific site or something that every miniBB generally experiences...but with some more work, I can probably test this on my own.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

--E.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#7 | Posted: 30 Dec 2006 13:33 
I can also give you advice of specifying $pathToFiles variable as full path to files, if your site or script uses relative directories.

I know there is nothing difficult to include miniBB into a page, and everything to know for that is already described... so good luck in trying.

Re-cycled miniBB Support Forums / Re-cycled /
 including the forum in another page
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Get the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑