Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
The Other miniBB Support Forums / The Other /  

Bad instructions for many addons..

Author sound
#1 | Posted: 20 Aug 2006 13:02 
Sorry i'd have to say for newbie the instruction for many of the addons
are not soo greatly instructed, i got lost in several of them and just deleted

Please make the instructions clearel with more details on where exactly things belong..
I mean you're not allways going to have experts reading ur instructions.

Author michael1234
Partaker
#2 | Posted: 20 Aug 2006 21:06 
If you haven't already, take a look at the polls addon. NOT for novice users.

Author marsbar
Associated Member
#3 | Posted: 21 Aug 2006 02:30 
sound wrote: Please make the instructions clearel with more details on where exactly things belong

Can you be more specific about your complaint? Which readme files do you find difficult to follow?

-mb

Author Ivan
Advanced Member
#4 | Posted: 21 Aug 2006 06:05 
I never had problems with the installation of any addon or its functioning later.

What could be easier than an instruction like:

1. Put this in this directory.
2. Put this line in this file.
3. Put that line in that file.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#5 | Posted: 21 Aug 2006 08:03 
We never claimed miniBB is oriented on newbies. minibb.com title page says, "Minimal PHP knowledge is required for configuration". If you don't know how to open/edit a file, or how to copy/update file via FTP, start learning computer basics, not miniBB.

If you find some instructions bad written, prove that and report us, where are the mistakes, and we will update them with pleasure.

Если вы не знаете английский, это не значит, что инструкции плохие.

Author sound
#6 | Posted: 20 Aug 2006 13:07 
21 Aug 2006 08:04 - Attached on mergeing:
Be easier to include addons and instruct users how to disable..

Simple things that are usually included in 90% of forums like avatars/smilies
They are left out in this little board, you have to install them yourself..
Good way to learn offcourse or to get lost

Would it be handier for the users if you included these things
Then if the user has a problem with it, it would be far more easier to explain how they would disable the feature if needed.

Author marsbar
Associated Member
#7 | Posted: 21 Aug 2006 00:46 
sound wrote: Simple things that are usually included in 90% of forums like avatars/smilies

MiniBB differs from many forum applications in that it is bloat-free; reading Team's description of miniBB, I understand it is by design that the miniBB core is kept as light as possible - the less code, the less bugs--very wise, in my view!

sound wrote: Would it be handier for the users if you included these things Then if the user has a problem with it, it would be far more easier to explain how they would disable the feature if needed.

Why would disabling an add-on be 'far more' easier to explain than installing an add-on? I suspect the issue lies with the language used in the documentation: English is probably not Team's native language, so some of the documentation may just need reviewing for clarity. Instead of just complaining, why not do something productive to help improve the situation? Tell Team exactly what you think they need to fix. No one is a mind reader, so you need to specify which set(s) of instructions you find incomprehensible and then give Team a chance to improve things.

Cheers,
mb

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#8 | Posted: 21 Aug 2006 08:07 
sound
Simple things that are usually included in 90% of forums like avatars/smilies
That's it. miniBB is not a usual board. Do not spam our forums with the same type messages, please. That's a bad taste, and we don't like ungrounded meanings.

The Other miniBB Support Forums / The Other /
 Bad instructions for many addons..
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Get the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑