miniBB ® 

miniBB

®
Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
How To miniBB Support Forums / How To /  

Changing the link colors used on the navigation area.

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next »

Author shedrock
Partaker
#1 | Posted: 22 May 2006 16:19 
Is there anyway I can change the links in used on the navigation area. As it is now, I can only use one link color which is applied to all links. I've tried everything but nothing seems to work. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Shedrock

Author simmering
Partaker
#2 | Posted: 22 May 2006 20:13 
tried it with css?

Author Ivan
Advanced Member
#3 | Posted: 22 May 2006 20:19 
simmering is right - at the bottom of the CSS are all the link states' colors.

Author tom322
#4 | Posted: 22 May 2006 20:26 
Yes, but I think shedrock meant to change the link look on the main menu Only (I think changing links in the css file will change all the links).

On a side note, I think it's better and simplier for users when there is only one look of the hyperlink defined throughout the website (better usability).

Author shedrock
Partaker
#5 | Posted: 22 May 2006 20:50 
Sorry but I disagree with tom322. If you keep the skins basic I can understand that, but I am designing some really advanced looking skins and my navcell is a dark blue image so I need a light text on it. This becomes a problem when the rest of the skin (forum area) is white. Hope you understand what I am trying to say.

Shedrock

Author tom322
#6 | Posted: 22 May 2006 20:55 
shedrock
I hope you at least agree I understood your concept ;). I still think "really advanced" may be "too complicated" for users, but it's my opinion.

I wish I could help you but I'm not sure how to do it. Maybe somebody else knows how to do it.

Author shedrock
Partaker
#7 | Posted: 22 May 2006 21:45 
I actually figured it out. I had to add a class to the bb_functions.php file. At least this gives a bit more flexibility to the theme. I am setting up a new website dedicated to only miniBB skins and I will show changes made to the html files etc. I don't really want to touch the core files, but in this case the bb_finctions.php file was the only file I had to edit.

Cheers!
Shedrock

Author marsbar
Associated Member
#8 | Posted: 23 May 2006 02:16 
Shedrock - be sure to pop that new class in the bb_functions.php whenever you upgrade your forums. :-)
Cheers,
mb

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#9 | Posted: 23 May 2006 11:32 
Yes, load_header() function in bb_functions.php is the place where you can add additional class to the links. But this will destroy one of your core files.

If you have enough patience and experience with CSS, it's possible to define styling for links in the definition of table cells' classes (but general "A" class should be removed in that case).

For example, all menu links are inserted in the table cell with class "caption2". Edit bb_default_style.css, remove all general "A" attributes, and paste, for example:

td.caption2 A:link, A:active, A:visited {
color: #006699;
text-decoration: none;
}

td.caption2 A:hover {
color: #0083C5;
}

This will define A colors for table row with class "caption2". You need to do the same for all table rows where links might appear (classes ".tbCel1", ".tbCel2", "caption1", "caption2", "caption3", etc. until "caption6"; also as "tbTransparent").

This also will be not core-destructive solution ;-)

Author shedrock
Partaker
#10 | Posted: 23 May 2006 11:57 
This method would only work well if you're not using images in the backgrounds. In my opinion it is much easier to assign a class to the bb_functions.php file. In my case I simply used:
<a class="nav-links" href="etc">. In this case if you did not have the class listed in the CSS file, then it simply defaults to using the A: class etc.

Shedrock

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#11 | Posted: 23 May 2006 12:14 
Sorry, but which way background images are related to links? Why it should not work with background images? I don't see any troubles here... my described method only defines color and decoration for any link with usual "A" tag placed in corresponding table row under defined class. No backgrounds involved...

Author shedrock
Partaker
#12 | Posted: 23 May 2006 13:21 
Here is my example:

td.caption2 A:link, A:active, A:visited{
font-size:11px;
font-weight:bold;
color:#0C63AD;
background: #EAEBEC url(img/tbl1_bg.gif)
repeat-x center bottom;
border-bottom: #BFC6C7 1px solid;
padding:4px 4px 4px 4px;
}

td.caption2 A:hover{
font-size:11px;
font-weight:bold;
color:#0C63AD;
background: #EAEBEC url(img/tbl1_bg.gif)
repeat-x center bottom;
border-bottom: #BFC6C7 1px solid;
padding:4px 4px 4px 4px;
}

This causes the links to show on the background.

Author shedrock
Partaker
#13 | Posted: 23 May 2006 13:29 
I figured it out Paul. Thanks!

Shedrock

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#14 | Posted: 24 May 2006 20:06 
Good :-)

Author Anonymous
#15 | Posted: 23 Oct 2006 18:30 
i dont understand it...

i delated all general A attributes and adding

A:link, A:active, A:visited {
color: #37B440;

to caption.1 etc and it was written before that td.caption2 is responsible for navigation links but all that is changed is the name of admin and last user in statistics

adding this rule to other classes makes changes, but still cant change the color of nav links. which class is responsible for it?

thanks

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 
How To miniBB Support Forums / How To /
 Changing the link colors used on the navigation area.
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Try the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑