®
Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
The Other miniBB Support Forums / The Other /  

running forums on multiple sub-domains

Author lurker
Partaker
#1 | Posted: 15 May 2006 19:48 
I am currently setting up a new website that will probably have between 3-20 sub-domains. Each sub domain will need a forum.

In each sub-domain, I need to either set up a forum, or preferably, set it up so that I simply install 1 instance of miniBB and just show specific forums in each sub-domain.

Ideally, users would register at the main site, then simply log into the forums on each sub-domain. So far, I have not found a solution other than installing an instance on each sub-domain.

No, I do not want to have all the forums visible except to an admin.
Yes, I want the help forums visible from the main site.

From any sub-domain I want to define what forums will be visible.

Is this possible to acheive with a single install of miniBB or would I be better off using multiple installs.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#2 | Posted: 15 May 2006 20:23 
In past time, I've did something like that for a custom forum. The have had one common installation under www.somedomain.com, and using quite simple dynamic solution, it was possible to load subdomain1.somedomain.com, subdomain2.somedomain.com with the same installation and users table. So users registering at one forum, automatically are registered at another (all) forums. The only thing is not possible is to show all forums at once for admin. At the same time, it's possible to prepare a list of all domains and check them all, visiting from this list.

This solution is paid, if you don't know how to implement it yourself.

The Other miniBB Support Forums / The Other /
 running forums on multiple sub-domains
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Install the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑