| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
Suggestions miniBB Support Forums / Suggestions /  

Quote function - support for Safari?

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next »

Author Team
8-)
#16 | Posted: 25 May 2005 13:10 
marsbar
I am afraid, only Safari developers might provide precise information on that. So may be it would be nice, if some of your users would ask Safari support.

Author marsbar
Associated Member
#17 | Posted: 25 May 2005 13:15 
realitybytes wrote: Anybody come back with some debug information?

No, unfortunately: nothing appears in the JavaScript Console for the affected users. The users are not getting a JavaScript error, but only the alert message for not highlighting text.

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me.
- mb

-- EDIT --
Team wrote: I am afraid, only Safari developers might provide precise information on that. So may be it would be nice, if some of your users would ask Safari support.

Thanks for your suggestion, Team (sorry, I didn't see your post earlier--we must have posted around the same time).

Author realitybytes
Partaker
#18 | Posted: 26 May 2005 16:18 
No joy pearpc, and version 10.3 OS X, I can not get installed on the PC I was using. I could get the so far in the installation but it kept crashing at differnet points with different settings.

I am out of ideas without having hands on OS X, to be able to put some code to test I am beat.

Author marsbar
Associated Member
#19 | Posted: 3 Jun 2005 12:42 
Thanks for trying, just the same, realitybytes! I have trawled the Web for other possible fixes, but have not been able to find one that differs from yours. :-(
- mb

Author Team
8-)
#20 | Posted: 3 Jun 2005 14:04 
So, maybe Safari just doesn't support get.selection method? Worth of writing to the Mac OS X team... as I already mentioned :-)

Author marsbar
Associated Member
#21 | Posted: 3 Jun 2005 14:58 
Team wrote: So, maybe Safari just doesn't support get.selection method?

Apparently recent security-based changes have affected the way Safari handles the getSelection() function. This is a bug that affects any string functions on the returned value of getSelection(). The workaround is supposed to involve the addition of an empty string to the value that immediately forces the getSelection() result into a string - this workaround, I think, is exactly what realitbytes recently suggested me to try. Strangely, however, the workaround does not work for me - perhaps mine is an isolated case? I shall check again to see that I have done everything suggested by realitybytes. If problem persists, I guess there is but one option left: submit a bug report to the Mac OS X Team, and hope for the best!

- mb

Author marsbar
Associated Member
#22 | Posted: 6 Feb 2006 10:49 
Just an update - a happy ending:
I am now running miniBB 2 RC5 (thanks to Team's/Paul's great help), and I have received reports from delighted Safari users saying that the quote function is now working perfectly for them. :-)

Author marsbar
Associated Member
#23 | Posted: 24 Feb 2006 04:15 
Uh-oh, bad news: after the recent upgrade to RC5a, the quote function no longer wants to work in Safari; if I highlight some text and then click 'quote', all that appears in the text box is one word: undefined. :-(
- mb

Author Team
8-)
#24 | Posted: 24 Feb 2006 08:16 
Bad news is that Safari browser is much-much slower for updates than Mozilla or IE. We have made recent updates because of Mozilla's core changes and IE7 - so, we won't worry again about this Safari terrapin.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#25 | Posted: 24 Feb 2006 10:19 
Well, in fact, we care about Safari users, as much as others... the problem is - nobody from us has Safari browser. So, only Safari users and developers could determine the reason. Probably, it's again in document.getSelection function...

Author marsbar
Associated Member
#26 | Posted: 26 Feb 2006 02:43 
Thanks, Team, for taking the time to reply; I guess there is not much you can do about this problem then, which is too bad for my Safari users who are really missing the quote function. :-((
- mb

Author Team
8-)
#27 | Posted: 27 Feb 2006 09:57 
Well, miniBB is open source, and somebody from Safari users could definitely determine the problem and report it to us; else we can't do something.

Author marsbar
Associated Member
#28 | Posted: 27 Feb 2006 10:32 
OK, Team! I'll try to find out and then report back any specific error messages/browser debug info that Safari gives when the user tries to use the quote function.
Cheers,
mb

Author marsbar
Associated Member
#29 | Posted: 27 Feb 2006 11:53 
Hi Team,

Below is what one Safari user just reported back after I had asked for browser debug info - not sure whether it is the information you are after:

var selektion;

function insertAtCursor(myField, myValue, bbCode1, bbCode2, endOfLine) {
var bbb;
if(bbCode1=='[url=null]') { bbCode1=''; bbCode2=''; }
if(bbCode1=='[imgs]' && myValue==null) { bbCode1=''; bbCode2=''; myValue=''; }

if (document.selection) {
//IE support
var str = document.selection.createRange().text;
myField.focus();
sel = document.selection.createRange();
sel.text = bbCode1 + myValue + bbCode2 + endOfLine;
if(myValue=='') { bbb=bbCode2.length; sel.moveStart('character',-bbb); sel.moveEnd('character',-bbb); }
sel.select();
return;
}
//MOZILLA/NETSCAPE support
else if (myField.selectionStart || myField.selectionStart == '0') {
var startPos = myField.selectionStart;
var endPos = myField.selectionEnd;
var bbb2, bbV, eoll;
if(myValue=='') myValue = myField.value.substring(startPos, endPos);
//alert(myValue);
myField.value = myField.value.substring(0, startPos) + bbCode1 + myValue + bbCode2 + endOfLine + myField.value.substring(endPos, myField.value.length);
if(myValue=='') { bbb=bbCode1.length; myField.selectionStart=startPos+bbb; myField.selectionEnd=endPos+bbb; }
else {
bbb=bbCode1.length;
bbb2=bbCode2.length;
bbV=myValue.length;
eoll=endOfLine.length;
myField.selectionStart=startPos+bbV+bbb+bbb2+eoll;
myField.selectionEnd=myField.selectionStart;
}
myField.focus();

return;
} else {
myField.value += myValue;
return;
}
}

function paste_strinL(strinL, isQuote, bbCode1, bbCode2, endOfLine){
if((isQuote==1 || isQuote==2) && strinL=='') alert(l_quoteMsgAlert);
else{
if (isQuote==1) {
bbCode1=''; bbCode2=''; endOfLine='
';
}
if (isQuote==2) {
bbCode1=''; bbCode2=''; endOfLine='
';
}
var isForm=document.forms["postMsg"];
if (isForm) {
var input=document.getElementById('postText');
//var input=document.forms["postMsg"].elements["postText"];
insertAtCursor(input, strinL, bbCode1, bbCode2, endOfLine);
}
else alert(l_accessDenied);
}
}

function pasteSel() {
selektion='';
if(window.getSelection) {
this.thisSel=window.getSelection();
selektion=this.thisSel.toString();
}
else if(document.getSelection) selektion=document.getSelection();
else if(document.selection) selektion=document.selection.createRange().text;
}

- mb

Author Team
8-)
#30 | Posted: 27 Feb 2006 12:59 
No really clear what does it mean - it's just a code snippet from form.js file. We need actual error description, most desirable with showing line number in the code.

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next » 
Suggestions miniBB Support Forums / Suggestions /
 Quote function - support for Safari?
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Try the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑