Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
Bugs miniBB Support Forums / Bugs /  

Error in the search module

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2

Author Team
8-)
#16 | Posted: 29 Dec 2005 10:27 
Not obligately in Cyrillic, but something by the same principle... as about Cyrillic - there always could be problems, because mySQL recognize it different way, not as Latin.

Author Ivan
Advanced Member
#17 | Posted: 29 Dec 2005 10:51 
MySQL recognizes the letters through the Unicode table and the selected language codepage (we write the same way), i. e. there is no difference what charachters you'll use.

The problem is that I don't know why in my case the module omits exactly the said part... to repeat it here. (I unfortunately deleted my text to show it at my forum.)

I think about another thing. Why the first option says "from the beginning"? From the beginning of what? Why not in the middle or at the end? It sounds to me like passing arround some problem...

Author Team
8-)
#18 | Posted: 29 Dec 2005 11:49 
Well, "from the beginning means" that most important part of the word is used, without completitions, like it is done in most search engines. For example, you type "lock", and then it will determine texts which contain "lock", "locker", "locks" etc. But it will not determine words like "overlock".

Author Ivan
Advanced Member
#19 | Posted: 29 Dec 2005 12:13 

I tried now to find here ~etermin~ and the module firstly found your post above, too. This means we have almost all variants of search.

The only thing I couldn't reach is to find the word "overlock" (in the quotation marks) by typing ~lock~. In the same time I can find the word "determine" and "completitions" (without quotation marks, as it's written) by typing ~etermine~ and ~mpletitions~.

This means that the quotation marks somehow obtrude the fragment to be accepted when they are at the end. May be it's possible to apply to them the same rule as for the other punctuation marks...

Author Team
8-)
#20 | Posted: 29 Dec 2005 18:50 
You don't need to use brackets for searching completed fragments. Use special (second) search type available in the current release. Brackets will be eliminated in the next release. Also, don't use quotations in your request - we have not built-in Google here. Everything you type is searched "as is", quotation marks are also search symbols. Nothing will be changed here.

Author Ivan
Advanced Member
#21 | Posted: 29 Dec 2005 19:21 
Thanks :) And, as well, I don't want that Google here at all :)))

Now it's absolutely precised. I simply forgot for a moment about the second option.

Author trc4949
Partaker
#22 | Posted: 2 Oct 2006 10:38 
I just did a search for "search is executed or different" and used the WHOLE PHRASE choice...

and yet it turns up no results...

Author tom322
#23 | Posted: 2 Oct 2006 11:53 
I just did a search for "search is executed or different" and used the WHOLE PHRASE choice...

and yet it turns up no results...

but that text can be specifically found here:

search is executed or different

Why don't you use Complete fragments of words:

Search

Author trc4949
Partaker
#24 | Posted: 2 Oct 2006 13:23 
but the results should have come up in the whole phrase search because that exact whole phrase exists..

*sigh*

I am still so confused by all the different search methods...

Mini bb ranks tops for usability but for these 3 search methods I think is very confusing to average user.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#25 | Posted: 3 Oct 2006 02:02 
trc4949
You're right here:
but the results should have come up in the whole phrase search because that exact whole phrase exists
Nothing was found, because there was a dot at the end of the sentense you're trying to look up. I've fixed that, and now it should work.

I agree there could be some things fixed in search function. Programming it correct way, it's impossible to know about all possible cases. That's why you're welcome to describe such kind of errors on our forums, and we will say "thank you" for that.

Anyway, what we are providing, is not a search crawler here. You can do a basic search by various kind of methods, and it is enough in 99% of cases. What about 1% left? We just don't worry about it.

Installing Google search will be very intuitive for your users ;-) We also are planning to install it in the future.

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 
Bugs miniBB Support Forums / Bugs /
 Error in the search module
 Share Topic's Link

This topic is closed. New replies are not allowed.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Get the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑