®
Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
The Other miniBB Support Forums / The Other /  

Posting under an anonymous "bogus" username

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next »

Author Anonymous
#1 | Posted: 13 Nov 2005 00:10 
HOW COME WHEN I ENTER A BOGUS USERNAME/PASSWORD, THE POST GOES THROUGH!!!??? WHAT AND WHERE SHOULD I CHANGE TO MAKE SURE IT'S WORKING FINE?

// I'm posting now as a Team even though I'm not a Team :}.

Author Scott
#2 | Posted: 13 Nov 2005 00:12 
Here is a try again...

Author Greg
#3 | Posted: 13 Nov 2005 00:13 
I've just posted as "Scott" even though I have never signed up here as "Scott" (now I'm Greg :)

Author Anonymous
#4 | Posted: 13 Nov 2005 00:14 
Am I a BBTeam now or what?

Author Randolph
#5 | Posted: 13 Nov 2005 00:18 
It seems posting as a team doesn't work, but posting as any other bogus name works... I THINK it's a bug -- can you help explain please?

Author J.
#6 | Posted: 13 Nov 2005 01:35 
It's not a bug. You can enter as Anonymous each username you want which is not registered. This is very useful if there is more than one anonymous user. But this has nothing to do with being registered and logged in.
You can recognize registered and logged in users by the text "member" under their username. If you want you can disable anonymous posts in the options.

Author Peter
#7 | Posted: 13 Nov 2005 01:47 
maybe you're right -- but it's still confusing (the user may think he's just registered using the username/password he managed to enter successfully)...

Author Ivan
Advanced Member
#8 | Posted: 13 Nov 2005 08:11 
No, it's not a bug, of course. You can see that under your name nothing is written - user, member, participant... You can also forbid the names you want to.

Author Anonymous
#9 | Posted: 13 Nov 2005 08:38 
Well, I've just added this next to sign in/post message button:

If you want to post as Anonymous then leave the username and password fields blank.

Author Moony
Partaker
#10 | Posted: 13 Nov 2005 16:53 
You should make you forum writtable only for registered users. Then you will not have this problem.

Author Ivan
Advanced Member
#11 | Posted: 13 Nov 2005 18:44 
This is not a problem at all. How people simply write as Anonimous here without any notice? :)

Of course, if the BB is only for registered users, no one anonimous will write - with or without name...

Author Anonymous
#12 | Posted: 31 Aug 2007 23:16 
I have been searching for sites with anonymous forums...Most say you have to register... Exactly why is that?

Author tom322
#13 | Posted: 1 Sep 2007 00:05 
Exactly why is that?
To prevent spamming, for example...

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#14 | Posted: 3 Sep 2007 03:39 
I would say registering an account may be required from the forums maintainer because they collect some information like emails, for example, or some other information. In other cases, like dating or meeting forums, for example, there could be a goal in contacting other forums members privately, which is impossible if they do not have a special account.

Besides that, all forums communication may be done between guest members (like miniBB offers by default). Just a simple registration is posibly bad method of preventing of spam, because it is very simple to write a program which logs in and spams like it would be a regular user. Possibly "CAPTCHA" algorithm is the most efficient nowadays against recognizing human and a bot.

Author Anonymous
#15 | Posted: 24 Oct 2007 08:43 
I can write here if I am not a user

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 
The Other miniBB Support Forums / The Other /
 Posting under an anonymous "bogus" username
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Get the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑