| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
Bugs miniBB Support Forums / Bugs /  

Search bug?

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next »

Author _Marco
Partaker
#1 | Posted: 20 Sep 2005 19:31 
Ola,

When I search your miniBB forum, I get a "You don't have access to this forum" message.

I seach for [imgs], and the 3rd result is:
3. Geplaatst: 22 Aug 2005 23:22 - News & Announcements / miniBB version 2.0 RC4a released (quick-fixed RC4)
(https://www.minibb.com/forums/index.php?action=search&loc=1&forum=9&to pic=2901&page=17718)

When I click the link, I don't have access.

When I browse to News & Announcements / miniBB version 2.0 RC4a released (quick-fixed RC4), there is no problem entering the topic.
Now the url is: https://www.minibb.com/forums/9_2901_0.html

What's wrong?

_Marco

Author Team
8-)
#2 | Posted: 20 Sep 2005 20:52 
Oh, thanks for reporting! Error appeared when you are trying to view post-only forums from search link... fixed now and will be fixed in the next release. Quick fix:

index.php -

if (isset($poForums) and in_array($forum, $poForums) and $isMod!=1){
if ($action!='' and !in_array($action,array('vthread', 'vtopic', 'pthread', 'editmsg', 'editmsg2', 'search'))) $forb=1;
}

add "search" to available actions.

Author h4tt3n
Partaker
#3 | Posted: 25 Sep 2005 22:51 
Hey there,

I believe there is another bug in your new search engine...

In my forum at www.jernmager.dk the word "drengstedovn" appears quite often.

Now, when searching for word fragments, shouldn't all the posts with the word "drengstedovn" appear in the result list no matter what fragment of the word you search for? (For instance: "ovn", "drengsted" or "ngste")

Because it doesn't! Only some word fragments work, and quite a lot of others don't.

???

best regards,
H4tt3n

Author _Marco
Partaker
#4 | Posted: 25 Sep 2005 23:37 
Only some word fragments work, and quite a lot of others don't.

I think I got the same problem. Sometimes posts don't show up after a search ....

Author Team
8-)
#5 | Posted: 26 Sep 2005 10:36 
h4tt3n
No, they shouldn't, and this is the main change in a search script - it is oriented, first of all, on search of whole words. There is a hidden feature - if you want to search by partial fragment, put your search term within the "~" symbols. For example:

~ngste~

will also result "drengstedovn".

Author _Marco
Partaker
#6 | Posted: 26 Sep 2005 12:23 
There is a hidden feature

Now I got a lot more results :)

Maybe the option "Words or fragments" should be called "Words".

In the dutch languagepack, this search-option is called "Onderwerpen & antwoorden" (Messages or Topic titles), like the 1.7 version. That's the other reason I got less results.

This leaves me with 2 wishes:

1. Search option for "Messages or Topic titles" (like 1.7)
2. Search option for partial fragments

With searching for partial fragments also url's pop-up.

_Marco

Author Ivan
Advanced Member
#7 | Posted: 26 Sep 2005 13:08 
In the last original language file there are four options:

1. Where to search:
2. Type of search:
- Words or fragments
- Whole phrase

May be there is something in your language file. Why don't you check it - version, translation?...

Author h4tt3n
Partaker
#8 | Posted: 26 Sep 2005 19:14 
ah, nice!

the ~ thing fixed it.

btw. Can you tell us how to make the script automatically add a ~ character before and after the search phrase?

h4tt3n

Author Team
8-)
#9 | Posted: 26 Sep 2005 19:34 
_Marco
While making release candidates, we have no time to fix all language packs. So there may be some missing points. I hope, when 2.0 stable will be released, we will have all language packs fixed.

And we'll think about the "words of fragments"... thanks.

Author h4tt3n
Partaker
#10 | Posted: 26 Sep 2005 22:42 
Takling about language packs...

I've just translated the 2.0 RC4b relevant language pack into danish.

- How do I pass it over to you nice people?

regards,
h4tt3n

Author _Marco
Partaker
#11 | Posted: 27 Sep 2005 00:56 
Okidoki,

The dutch languagepack doesn't bother me much, cause it's easy to make corrections yourself :) It was just a little missleading about this subject.
I wil try to make an updated dutch languagepack this week, because there are some more things missing, incorrect or just different from 1.7. I'll send it to Team after finishing.
Team doesn't have to fix the languagepacks, the create great software. Members should fix them I believe so I will put my effort to it.

On topic;
I think the old search option resulted in Messages, Topic titles and partial framents. It's not a bug, but I would like to have it back :-)

_Marco

Author Team
8-)
#12 | Posted: 27 Sep 2005 10:36 
_Marco
I think the old search option resulted in Messages, Topic titles and partial framents - this was the matter of speed. When you search both in Titles and Messages, 2 tables are concatenated, and this dramatically decreases speed, specially on large data. We think, the most often case is when you search in Messages, because in most cases, topic title should contain the same keywords as message. It won't be back, we will just fix this fragment thing somehow - because by fragment it was meant, for example, fragment of the word FROM THE BEGINNING. For example, searching for "option" should return "options", "option", "optional", but not "adoption". Probably, there is some bug, currently search is not working that way.

Author Team
8-)
#13 | Posted: 27 Sep 2005 10:37 
Yes, and the email for sending language packs is: ghappa [at] gmail.com.

Author Ivan
Advanced Member
#14 | Posted: 27 Sep 2005 10:54 
_Marco

Why making one logical thing - non-logical?

1. The search can be performed in two areas: a) in the topic titles, and b) in the text of the messages. Now existing.
2. The elements by which the search could be performed, are three - a) whole phrase, b) whole words, and c) fragments of words. Now existing a) and b).

Additional elements for more precise search:
1. Forum by forum. Now existing.
2. Period. Now existing.
3. Author. Now existing.

The only thing that could be added (or separated) is "Fragments of words", but I cannot see the big reason to do it. The sentimental feeling for 1.7 is not such big reason, nevermind I, too, have used 1.7 in the beginning and like it :) Finally, what is the sence to search "godfather" with "god" of with "father"? Or to search "love" with "lo" - and to find "locomotive" :)

OK, sometimes, rare, it might be useful. Than we have two ways:
1. To separate an option "Fragments of words".
or
2. To add a line of text in the note under the search table (in the language pack): When searching by "Fragments of words", please, replace the missing part(s) with "~". Additionally, this could be explained in the manual.

Only my opinion.

Team, what do you think on the above?

Greetings.

Author Ivan
Advanced Member
#15 | Posted: 27 Sep 2005 10:55 
:) I have written while Team had posted :)

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 
Bugs miniBB Support Forums / Bugs /
 Search bug?
 Share Topic's Link

This topic is closed. New replies are not allowed.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Install the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑