miniBB ® 

miniBB

®
Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
Custom Tutorials and Modifications miniBB Support Forums / Custom Tutorials and Modifications /  

search - mod_rewrite (plus: how to add custom link in your forums header)

Page  Page 1 of 3:  1  2  3  Next »

Author cakeman
Partaker
#1 | Posted: 29 May 2005 20:24 
With mode rewrite activated, the links in the search results are still like ./index.php?action=vthread&forum=4&topic=2050

Author cakeman
Partaker
#2 | Posted: 29 May 2005 20:46 
There is the same problem in stat.

Author Team
8-)
#3 | Posted: 29 May 2005 21:12 
And - it was, or it should be? :-)

I think, it's not a bug - we have just not included previously mod_rewrite support in these sections.

So, it should be? Why?

Author cakeman
Partaker
#4 | Posted: 29 May 2005 21:27 
Ah ok, I did not know it is not a bug.

Well, Should it be ? perhaps, it would be coherent: the same links everywhere :)

Author realitybytes
Partaker
#5 | Posted: 29 May 2005 22:38 
Well, Should it be ? perhaps, it would be coherent: the same links everywhere :)

The main purpose for mod_rewrite is for SEO, that being the case search engines will not be using this section of the site.

Consistency is deabtable but the most valid reason I could think of to mod_rewrite that section of the forum would be to hide the underlying technology used, now because this is an open source forum this point is very much irrelevant.

Search engines will never use the search feature so pages will never be cached, that rules out the use of mod_rewrite as a method of ensuring that site ranking is not lost with name changes.

So the only real benefit you will gain for creating mod_rewrite on the search is user friendly urls and consistency.

Asking myself is this needed, at present I say no. I might change this view in the future, but as it stands today with SEO and the capabilities of mod_rewrite it really is not needed.

Author cakeman
Partaker
#6 | Posted: 30 May 2005 01:09 
I never said it was necessary but I agree with you when you said that:

So the only real benefit you will gain for creating mod_rewrite on the search is user friendly urls and consistency

That is why I posted this topic.

Author Team
8-)
#7 | Posted: 30 May 2005 12:40 
I fully agree to realitybytes. Search results in miniBB should not be cached by search spiders (and they won't be reached in any case), as about Statistics page... it is more informative for community users, not for search spiders.

Author Ojlert
Partaker
#8 | Posted: 9 Jul 2005 10:56 
Hmm.. But they might still be reached by spiders. Search engines can detect which urls visitors are referred by when they visit other pages. Or so I've heard. But it's probably not a big deal.

Just one little question, why does the link in the forum link to index.php? and not just to the forum root or index.php? Couldn't the ? be a little problematic for search engines?

Author Tom
Partaker
#9 | Posted: 10 Jul 2005 00:39 
The only problem comes when users use search function and use that not-friendly link to reference from somewhere else. That means that while you got nice url_rewrite, your effect from the backlinks is very diminished. Backlinks are much more important than nice url's for seo results. Anyway, I realize on many forums, that's not worth the bother, yet some could benefit from it nicely, especially those "authority ones", with lots of quality content.

Author Tom
Partaker
#10 | Posted: 10 Jul 2005 00:41 
Just one little question, why does the link in the forum link to index.php? and not just to the forum root or index.php? Couldn't the ? be a little problematic for search engines?

Definitely. Same problem. Some backlinks point to your root, some to /index.php?. Same content but two different url's for a search engine. It means that instead of getting all the power to one point, you get some of it to each of them, but not combined.

Author Team
8-)
#11 | Posted: 10 Jul 2005 18:35 
Sorry, I didn't understand what do you mean by pointing of index.php?. Could you provide a real URLs to that pages?

Author Team
8-)
#12 | Posted: 10 Jul 2005 18:38 
Regarding search function - always remember that search spiders are indexing only AVAILABLE content, and available only for anonymous users. Search spiders can not index any of search page results at all - just because they won't "enter" some search phrase automatically and then call that page. Everything they might index - search form page itself.

Author Ojlert
Partaker
#13 | Posted: 10 Jul 2005 18:46 
Sorry, I didn't understand what do you mean by pointing of index.php?. Could you provide a real URLs to that pages?

In the menu the link "Forums" point to index.php?. It is like that on this page.

Author Team
8-)
#14 | Posted: 10 Jul 2005 18:59 
So, where it should point to? Logically, it points to index.php - what's the problem?

Author Tom
Partaker
#15 | Posted: 11 Jul 2005 12:49 
It shall point to https://www.minibb.com/forums/, not to https://www.minibb.com/forums/index.php?

Search engines consider these two to be different pages. In today's "world of links", if you point one to the first and second to the second, it will not bring you that high in search results, as if you would give both two links to the first (or to the second). (Simplified reasoning.)

This is the same reasoning as for my first post in this thread. Say I'm writing a review about minibb and want to tell users how to change their logo after install. So I search for "How to change the picture at the top of forum", following comes up, https://www.minibb.com/forums/index.php?action=vthread&forum=7&topic=20 82, and it is the one that I will give a link to from my page.
However, that's not as good as if I would link directly to https://www.minibb.com/forums/7_2082_0.html.

Not even speaking here about duplicity issues (will search engine count the first link?, because obviously if the second url is indexed, it might consider it duplicate content), as I am not well versed in them.

The point is in watering down the power. If you get two links to page x, will get you better search engine results for that page, than if you get one link to page x and another to page y.

Page  Page 1 of 3:  1  2  3  Next » 
Custom Tutorials and Modifications miniBB Support Forums / Custom Tutorials and Modifications /
 search - mod_rewrite (plus: how to add custom link in your forums header)
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Check out the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑