Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
The Other miniBB Support Forums / The Other /  

GPL and other licensing questions

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next »

Author Anonymous
#1 | Posted: 18 May 2004 17:45 
Hello,

In your homepage you wrote: "under GPL license, which actually means you can not remove our copyright"

Why? AFAIK, the GPL means that one may make any modification to the source code, as long as he distributes the source code along with the package (and your copyright notice - in the source).

There is nothing that legally prevents him from creating his own HTML template without your copyright.

Am I wrong? Or is it a modified version of the GPL?

* I do not intend to use minibb myself at this time, let alone remove your copyright - I just think it is misleading.

Author Team
8-)
#2 | Posted: 18 May 2004 18:01 
There were many misunderstandings around this term in the past, but, as you already said - and your copyright notice - in the source. HTML template is also our source.

Actually, in this case GPL means that you can not publish or re-distribute our product ONLY with your copyright (for example, at the bottom of each page - copyright only of your site, actually, this is prohibited). You can not tell people that you have wrote miniBB, you can tell that you have modified, but in this case, you also need to tell - you have modified WHAT. You can build your own software based on miniBB - but in this case, you also need to tell - build on WHAT.

With the next version 2, we are planning distribute miniBB only under its own license (probably, BSD-like license), no more GPL.

Author Anonymous
#3 | Posted: 2 Jun 2004 19:17 
I got a question.
Can I remove the *link* to your site, but leave the copyright notice? It will still read "powered by minibb.." but there won't be a link to minibb.
I know that other forums under GPL allow this, but I was wondering about your thoughts on this one

Author Team
8-)
#4 | Posted: 3 Jun 2004 10:11 
It's not allowed.

In true, I don't understand, what's wrong is with this small link :)

Author KERAL
Partaker
#5 | Posted: 17 Jan 2005 14:31 
Hello everybody,
I read the confusing GPL License and now i still have one question that can i integrate this miniBB in my commercial project? I am not going to remove any copyrights notice or anything.

Author Team
8-)
#6 | Posted: 17 Jan 2005 14:35 
Without removing the copyrights - yes, you can.

Author KERAL
Partaker
#7 | Posted: 17 Jan 2005 14:38 
Thanks.

Author Anonymous
#8 | Posted: 22 Jan 2005 12:45 
I thought a proviso of the GPL was that the source of any derivatives had to be distributed also.

Author Team
8-)
#9 | Posted: 24 Jan 2005 10:51 
GPL is a big reason to think on many questions.

Author liam
#10 | Posted: 12 Feb 2005 15:36 
Hey if i buy commercial license does that mean i can re-brand them into my own forums?

Author Team
8-)
#11 | Posted: 14 Feb 2005 11:21 
Buying commercial license means that you can hide our copyright and use/distribute forums like any other script written exclusively for you.

No re-brands allowed. miniBB stays our brand in any case.

You are not obtaining title to the software or any copyrights. You may not sublicense, rent, or lease the software for any purpose. For renting or leasing the software, you need to buy corporate agreement, which is not commercial license.

Author liam
#12 | Posted: 15 Feb 2005 12:17 
Is there any way to re-brand minibb using some sort of mix between both commercial and corporate agreement?

Author Team
8-)
#13 | Posted: 15 Feb 2005 12:23 
Actually, what do you mean by "re-brand"? What is your final goal or purpose?

Author liam
#14 | Posted: 15 Feb 2005 12:40 
I would like to create my own forum package but i wish to get sorta a head start and dont wish to pay for a programmer to start me off, i would rather base my forum on minibb's code.

Please dont get mad or anything i am simply asking and hopefully this will stop anyone else that tried to ask if you dont allow it.

Author Team
8-)
#15 | Posted: 15 Feb 2005 14:37 
We don't get "mad" :) Anyway, many people worldwide are stealing open source software, and nobody can do something on that.

In your case, it relays more on your project, how will you distribute it and support it. In this case, we need to create corporate agreement between us and you, that you are using our code in your software with no claims from both sides. Price depends on your wishes; starting from $250.

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 
The Other miniBB Support Forums / The Other /
 GPL and other licensing questions
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Check out the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑