®
Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
The Other miniBB Support Forums / The Other /  

login form at the top of forums if $viewTopicsIfOnlyOneForum=1

Author anela
Partaker
#1 | Posted: 1 Jan 2005 20:33 
I've searched for this and have not found my answer...

I would like to add the login form (and the 'you are logged in as...' message when logged in) to the top of the page for forum view.

Well, as of right now I am using the $viewTopicsIfOnlyOneForum=1 and so I would like the form/message to appear at the top of my index.php. Currently the only way for users to log in is to post a message (when $viewTopicsIfOnlyOneForum=1).

I hope this makes sense...

Normally it would not matter so much, but the users to my site are not your typical forum-visitors and so they may be very confused. And I think not having the form there is leading to people not realizing they can sign up.

But I have tried several ways to do this myself, pulling things from templates and such, but I just can't get the correct effect. So I would appreciate a push in the right direction - maybe an editing of the index.php????

Author Ivan
Advanced Member
#2 | Posted: 2 Jan 2005 05:59 
I have one forum and one topic in it (the users wanted it like this for they have written this way at an older place. And I asked myself a simple question: Why someone should log in if he/she is not intended to post? Everyone can read without logging in (if, of course, the forum is not private). When you want to post, you log in and you're ready to write :)

But yes, people could wonder in the first moment: "Why I can not register?"

May be it's possible to put in the code something like this (I don't know programming):

if only one forum => check if view topics=1;
if view topics=1 => check if logged;
if not logged => put logging fields; //The fields above, instead of the logging fields under the text area.
else => normal; //As it is now.

and in the setup_options.php:

_loggingIfOnlyOneForum=1; //Options 0 or 1, 0 - to show not logging fields (default), 1 - to show logging fields.

I'm afraid only that it could be more confusing than it is now :)

Please, excuse me for my strange PHP language :)

Author anela
Partaker
#3 | Posted: 2 Jan 2005 06:32 
Well, it's not so much that as much as it is that my visitors would be confused if they couldn't log in at first. I've also had several who have registered and then proceeded to post anonymously.
But I ended up needing to expand to have another forum or two, so I guess all is well.
Thanks

Author anela
Partaker
#4 | Posted: 2 Jan 2005 06:33 
hehe you edited that before I saved my post. ;-)
thanks again

Author Ivan
Advanced Member
#5 | Posted: 2 Jan 2005 06:46 
My suggestion was to the authors of miniBB, but I'm not sure it's the best one :)

However, it'll not be bad to think about something alike in the code and to try how it looks.

Actually, I don't know is it needed after you have the logging fields under the text area. They're there when you are not logged and disappear when you log in. Simply some thoughts...

Greetings.

Author Ivan
Advanced Member
#6 | Posted: 3 Jan 2005 03:25 
One day later :)

I talked with the visitors of my own forum and other friends that participate in various other forums. They all told me that as it is now in miniBB 2 (with the Login/Post message under the text box, when you are not at the front page) is absolutely enough for them, and they also said that if there is something more, it will complicate the board.

Author Team
8-)
#7 | Posted: 3 Jan 2005 10:11 
I just wanted to say the same... in miniBB 2, you can log in WITHOUT posting anything, so even if you have one forum, it is possible to just log in post form.

But even if you want the login form appearing at the top, try to copy the necessary code from user_login_only_form.html to main_header.html, for example. Don't touch the index.php itself.

The Other miniBB Support Forums / The Other /
 login form at the top of forums if $viewTopicsIfOnlyOneForum=1
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Proceed with the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑