Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
Master Class miniBB Support Forums / Master Class /  

WYSIWYG in miniBB

Page  Page 1 of 4:  1  2  3  4  Next »

Author Anonymous
#1 | Posted: 25 Nov 2002 10:44 
just a suggestion or offtopic question

is it possible to program the post-message textbox (with php or javascript) in such a way that when you select some text and then click 'bold', the text immediately becomes bold? i mean a sort of wysiwyg editbox just like hotmail,

dre

Author Team
8-)
#2 | Posted: 25 Nov 2002 10:45 
Everyone who can make it - can make it :)

Author PeKa
Partaker
#3 | Posted: 25 Nov 2002 23:38 
I would suggest to code that in Java, the JavaScript code would either only work in IE or would be several k long in filesize and that'll only work for the major browsers.

I was thinking of something alike but I don't have any programming skills on Java right now...

Author Team
8-)
#4 | Posted: 26 Nov 2002 10:13 
Definitely, if it would be Java either in JS either in Flash, it will be NOT included in official release, only as plugin...

Author Shaun
#5 | Posted: 28 Nov 2002 14:34 
There's a couple of Rich Text text box replacements for IE using ActiveX which work quite well on Hotscripts.com although obviously these will on work on IE and only on Windows.

Quite simple to add but do remember to code the template so that it detects the browser so that people using decent computers and browsers can also post. ;-)

Author Team
8-)
#6 | Posted: 28 Nov 2002 15:08 
Shaun
There is such activex trouble: only IE, only Windows... Sucks. Definitely, it would be cool, if someone can program this on Flash or Java :)

Author Shaun
Partaker
#7 | Posted: 30 Nov 2002 17:13 
There's also a Javascript way of detecting selected text and cursor position in a textarea that works ok IE in Windows only but it might be useful to use.

That way users could select text in this box, and hit the BOLD button and it would stick the tags around it. Or it would insert tags at the correct cursor location and not just at the end.

It's broken in Mozilla but they do know about it.

Author Fritzek
Partaker
#8 | Posted: 28 Dec 2004 09:05 
have look to http://www.interaktonline.com/ . They have a product called khtml. It's based on PHP and they have a free version of it. You can use it for producing html snippet in a textarea and save to DB. The free version is limited, but should do what you've requested. I've tested it with several browsers and it works for all majors. The only pitfall with it: you need dreamweaver to incorporate it into your code :(

Author Team
8-)
#9 | Posted: 28 Dec 2004 10:27 
The main problem with rich text editors like KHTML is that they contain VERY MANY attributes. We just need 6 buttons, as you see, and usually, there is a lot of work in removing not necessary code. It would be cool if someone would develop very simple rich text editor, just with a couple of function, then we could to build it in.

Author Fritzek
Partaker
#10 | Posted: 28 Dec 2004 11:34 
you are right (like hunting the fly with a bazooka) ;-)
but have found another one which promises a bit more possible customizations (uses mozilla rich text api, is cross browser, use of functions can be limited - by "simply" code change):
http://www.kevinroth.com/rte/demo.php
will try this, but my problem is, how to fit into minibb. might be we can share

Author Team
8-)
#11 | Posted: 28 Dec 2004 11:52 
how to fit into minibb
guess, just to insert it in a template, or not? maybe change BB codes, too.

Author Ivan
#12 | Posted: 28 Dec 2004 19:31 
I thought that the most important in miniBB is the strong and simple code.

In addition, I all the time work with text design and like I these things but in this case this will complicate the main engine.

Why not the following simple thing: to have TWO templates - the default template (in the distribution package) and WYSIWYG template as a HTML plugin with implemented Java script in it. Then, if you want WYSIWYG text input instead of the standard one, you can simply download the plugin (or to download it and to have it for any case) and replace it.

This is a very clear and simple solution and will not complicate the PHP source code.

Author Anonymous
#13 | Posted: 29 Dec 2004 08:53 
I have installed one editor ant it works, however the HTML code is inserted as visible tags.

I'm looking now to find where the HTML tags are filtered in the source code. If somebody knows where, please tell me.

Author Team
8-)
#14 | Posted: 29 Dec 2004 11:34 
Ivan
This is ok, but the only thing we need is just this JavaScript source. I don't know many good WYSIWYG editors around, they are either too complicated or too buggy. If you know some, inform us.

Anonymous
To handle code properly, you need to set up new BB codes.

Author Ivan
#15 | Posted: 30 Dec 2004 01:55 
Unfortunately, all I can remember about now are IE and respectively Win only.

Page  Page 1 of 4:  1  2  3  4  Next » 
Master Class miniBB Support Forums / Master Class /
 WYSIWYG in miniBB
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Try the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑