I have read the manual and all the previous threads about people who could not logon as admin. My problem is a bit different, and I hope you can provide a solution or clue for what I should check.
First, my configuration:
Debian Linux w/ Apache 2.0.47
PHP 4.2.3 w/ magic_quotes_runtime off
MySQL 4.0.13 (works), 4.0.15 (NOT work)
I created the database tables using the _install.php script, and all went well. I created a single forum for testing purposes, then proceeded to spend the next several days modifying the templates and CSS to integrate with my site. When I attempted to login as Admin, to add the remaining forums, I could not! It seems to recognize the password, but it won't log me in. That is, if I use a purposely wrong Admin login/password, it returns the error "Incorrect username and/or password!" However, if I use the correct login/password, it returns "You need to enter your admin login to view this area" instead.
Here is what I have done so far:
* Verified that tables were built properly, via phpMyAdmin.
* Verified that cookie was getting written, and that MD5 hash within was same as hash in db.
* Reverted to original v1.6 install files, thus eliminating my changes as cause.
* Started over again with new db and new miniBB install.
* Verified that I can successfully register as a user, and that it shows in the SQL table properly (ok in both instances).
I finally noticed that phpMyAdmin was reporting v4.0.15 (it was 4.0.13 when I started). Tech support confirmed that they performed the upgrade 2 days ago, and mine was the 1st report of trouble.
Since I (unfortunately) did not discover the SQL change until after I had already trashed my database, I have only been able to prove that a user account can be created -- I can't test if it works (because there are now no forums!). Any ideas for what to check next?