miniBB ® 

miniBB

®
Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
Custom Tutorials and Modifications miniBB Support Forums / Custom Tutorials and Modifications /  

Multiple Encoding forums in UTF-8 (with specific chars in French, German, Russian etc.)

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#1 | Posted: 31 Oct 2006 05:08 
I've moved this message from another thread:

"if I leave the default english interface, I am still able to post cyrillic messages and they are dispayed correctly, but ones posted by other users who set up their interface to russian are crappy re-converted. It still is possible make it to display correctly by selecting 'View' encoding as 'Windows-1251' manually, but again, it will display specific german, french, etc. letters incorrectly in this case, and worse, for every other site too. Assigning $l_meta empty string, as suggested in manual, does not help in fact.
So, I hope there must be another fix or solution that helps for sure, 'coz I see a variety of forums over there, which manage this situation perfectly."

So,

for setting-up the multiple encoding forums (UTF-8), it's the most better idea to start them in UTF-8 mode. For this:

1) All language packs must be converted to UTF-8 (not a completely easy job, I know, but worth it). So each language pack should be saved in UTF-8 encoding. And, it should contain charset=utf-8 under $l_meta variable.

2) Allow only latin symbols in $userRegName setting of setup_options.php (it comes that way by default). Of course, it's possible also specify some symbols in UTF-8 here, but I doubt it's worth it, since you will need to change a lot of fields in database later.

3) topic_title field of minibbtopics_table in database must be specified as 'text' type (by default, comes as varchar(255)). SQL command for this:

ALTER TABLE `minibb_topics` CHANGE `topic_title` `topic_title` TEXT;
4) generic bb_func_txt.php file of miniBB package should be used as from the latest version 2.0.3. It has some fixes regarding symbols encoded in UTF-8.

I hope that's all for regular forums...

Custom Tutorials and Modifications miniBB Support Forums / Custom Tutorials and Modifications /
 Multiple Encoding forums in UTF-8 (with specific chars in French, German, Russian etc.)
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Check out the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑