miniBB ® 

miniBB

®
Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
Custom Tutorials and Modifications miniBB Support Forums / Custom Tutorials and Modifications /  

Easy miniBB integration with a chat software (cbox)

Author tom322
#1 | Posted: 30 Jan 2013 01:12 
I know a webmaster who has miniBB based forum and has recently installed and integrated an online chat (see: polishforums.com/live/). It's very simple to do it. By following these instructions your registered users will be able to post using their registered usernames on the chat:

1. Go to cbox.ws, sign up for a Premium account (it costs $20 a Year).

2. Enable integration in your cbox interface.

3. You will be given an HTML code to copy-paste on your web page where you want the chat to appear. Do it and then modify the code (the one within the iframe) so that it looks something like below (you need to modify the part in bold):

<iframe frameborder="0" style="width:100%;height:130px" src="http://www7.cbox.ws/box/?boxid=72xxxx&amp;boxtag=zf1000&amp;sec=form&amp;nme={$chatName}&amp;nmekey={$chatKey}" marginheight="2" marginwidth="2" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="yes" name="cboxform7-72xxxx" id="cboxform7-72xxxx"></iframe>
4. Create a page where you want the chat to appear, for example: /templates/addon_live.html. If you don't want a separate page, that will work too.

5. Go to your bb_plugins.php and copy-paste the following:

For separate addon_live.html page:

// start cbox chat
if($action=='tpl' and $tplName=='addon_live')
{
$chatName=urlencode($user_usr);
$chatKey=md5('your-private-key'.$user_usr);
}
// end cbox chat
For all other existing pages:

// start cbox chat
$chatName=urlencode($user_usr);
$chatKey=md5('your-private-key'.$user_usr);
// end cbox chat

------- That's all. --------

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#2 | Posted: 30 Jan 2013 17:08 
Thank you! Pretty simple solution and adjusted to miniBB perfectly at non-destructive level.
Hope it will work for more than just a couple of users... I know many forum owners are fans of the live tools :)

Author Jaime
Partaker
#3 | Posted: 1 Feb 2013 10:26 
Nice, but because you could probably even this Simple ChatScript, from the same author as in the post Easy Post Rating System adjust. And everything would remain on their own server.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#4 | Posted: 1 Feb 2013 12:49 
Jaime:
And everything would remain on their own server.
I liked this solution exactly because it's not for overloading own server (chat takes lots of resources, specially if it's active), but for placing it elsewhere, still with the easy possibility to integrate into existing template.

Author tom322
#5 | Posted: 1 Feb 2013 19:23 
Jaime:
Nice, but because you could probably even this Simple ChatScript, from the same author as in the post Easy Post Rating System adjust.
I checked it and read the readme file. It looks nice and simple.. but has a big problem - it keeps a limited amount of posts (default is only 30 rows). For a busy forum that is surely not enough. You can change it to more rows, but it would probably execute slow.. Plus I think it uses some flash.. not a good solution for something simple.

Author Jaime
Partaker
#6 | Posted: 2 Feb 2013 08:09 
tom322:
For a busy forum
Makes sense to me, I saw it from my perspective. And my forum is not so busy :) Such a small chat would be a nice feature for (my) registered users only. But I still have problems with the transfer of the logged-in user to the chat *. And .. I like the way your forum very well!

*Hours later ... I've solved my problem. One has to read just a little something in miniBB ;-)

Custom Tutorials and Modifications miniBB Support Forums / Custom Tutorials and Modifications /
 Easy miniBB integration with a chat software (cbox)
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Install the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑