miniBB ® miniBB®
miniBB Support Forums
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Custom Tutorials and Modifications miniBB Support Forums / Custom Tutorials and Modifications /   

'Super Sticky' Threads

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next »  
Author Jamieg285
Registered
#1 | Posted: 8 Jan 2007 06:57 
We would like to have sticky threads available on the main page of the forum, either in the same table as recent threads or as a separate table above it.

Is there a relatively simple way to acheive this?

Author Paul
Lead Developer
#2 | Posted: 8 Jan 2007 08:49 
In recent times I have programmed a "super-sticky topics" addon... it allows to set certain topic IDs in bb_plugins.php file (or it is possible to get ALL sticky topics from the database to pull in that array), so topics with these IDs are displayed above latest discussions on the first page and above any topic listing on topics page.

This is a paid addon, but not distributed. Offer your price first if you need it :-)

Author Jamieg285
Registered
#3 | Posted: 9 Jan 2007 04:34 
We are very interested in that, it suits our purpose even more than my original request.

How much is it - can it be bought in conjunction with this for a deal?

Author Paul
Lead Developer
#4 | Posted: 9 Jan 2007 05:04 
I think the price would be $9,99 for it, if you install it yourself.

Yes, it can be bought altogether with previous/next topic... but please contact me privately. ghappa [at] gmail dot com. This stuff is still some kind of "exclusive" and not available for official sale, so we will arrange this in private.

I need also to get back my old files and compile the readme for it, so you can install it :-) It could take some day.

I can provide you the URL address of the site which uses this addon in private also (it's an adult site so I can't post the link here).

Author Prince
Registered
#5 | Posted: 17 Sep 2011 23:43 
I've installed "Multiple Topics Action", there is a little problem with SuperSticky!

When I make a topic "SuperSticky", check box doesn't come beside it and it destroys form of forums and topics like this screenshot I've provided:

SuperSticky in Multiple Topic Action Add-on

Just it's for "SuperSticky".

Thanks!

Author Paul
Lead Developer
#6 | Posted: 21 Sep 2011 12:27 
Ok, I suppose the code should be some way pasted in main_modern_lcell / main_last_discuss_cell templates.
I mean, the code to paste {$deleteCheckbox} variable, similar way like you did for Multiple Topics add-on's /templates/main_topics_cell.html.
Try it out and let me know.

Author Prince
Registered
#7 | Posted: 21 Sep 2011 12:56 
Paul:
Try it out and let me know.

I did that but it will destroy the form of: "action=advld" page!

And I did paste it for all of these templates, it doesn't work for main topics list when a topic is super sticky.

Author Paul
Lead Developer
#8 | Posted: 21 Sep 2011 15:53 
Prince:
it will destroy the form of: "action=advld" page

Then you should apply something similar to the 'main_last_discussions_more' template as well.

I'm in no response for anything else. I have this add-on + Super Sticky installed on couple of forums and I'm sure it works. Try to find the error on your end, or refer to the custom service.

Author Prince
Registered
#9 | Posted: 21 Sep 2011 17:19 
Thanks anyway for your guide, But I'm sure it's not from Templates, it's from SuperSticky code in Plugin! ;)

Author Paul
Lead Developer
#10 | Posted: 21 Sep 2011 17:30 
The code loads only templates. The inconsistency in your files just means you miss the <td> code somewhere. And this additional <td> is reserved for delete checkbox.

Actually, Super-Sticky threads must be "out" of this add-on's code. Checkbox to delete or move should NOT be available for them. Instead, an empty <td> should be displayed.

Author Prince
Registered
#11 | Posted: 29 Sep 2011 23:41 
Hello,

I've made it :)

If it's not a problem (as a premium add-on) I can provide the code (less than a line) for other users if get like this problem, I've made for html and plug-in here!

Author Paul
Lead Developer
#12 | Posted: 30 Sep 2011 12:59 
I think you should not worry too much about it. I have plans to include this add-on in the default version, so hopefully sometimes it will be compatible with all add-ons. Or you may just provide the code here.

Author tom322
Registered
#13 | Posted: 30 Sep 2011 18:44 
Jamieg285:
We would like to have sticky threads available on the main page of the forum

I would personally avoid putting sticky threads on the main page. It would look like unnecessary stuff to read over and over again. It MIGHT be interesting for first-time visitors, but for regular users it would just be annoying..

Author Paul
Lead Developer
#14 | Posted: 30 Sep 2011 20:51 
tom322:
for regular users it would just be annoying

On the other side, regular visitors are just skipping this stuff by a simple eye-movement. So it could really matter in terms of attracting attention of new visitors. I think, in terms of getting constant visitors or new visitors, the last ones deserve some more attention with no big sacrificing of the forums comfort.

Author tom322
Registered
#15 | Posted: 30 Sep 2011 21:17 
Right, even though it's not always a matter of eye movement (ie. if user reads forum on a mobile phone or if there are many sticky threads). There's a reason why many users actually complain about too many sticky threads (and they can only see such sticky threads on forum pages -- if they were seen on the main page they would most likely complain even more):

http://www.google.com/search?q="so+many+sticky+threads"

http://www.google.com/search?q="so+many+sticky+topics"

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 
Custom Tutorials and Modifications miniBB Support Forums / Custom Tutorials and Modifications / 'Super Sticky' Threads Top

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Short link for this topic:

?
You are welcome to post anonymously, by entering a nickname with no password (if the similar Username has not been taken yet), or by leaving both fields empty. If you have a forums account, you can also sign in from this page without posting a message, or sign in and post at once.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with our forum posting rules. If not, it may be locked or deleted with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contacts
Proceed with the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.
Captcha Addon for miniBB