Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
Bugs miniBB Support Forums / Bugs /  

Search bug?

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2

Author Team
8-)
#16 | Posted: 27 Sep 2005 11:13 
I think, we just have a bug with fragments currently - I've explained which way it was planned, and it will be implemented this way in the next subrelease. Everything another stays the same. Yes, maybe we will just add to manual something about ~brackets~.

Author Ivan
Advanced Member
#17 | Posted: 27 Sep 2005 11:25 
I'm not sure where "~" must be put. In all cases the fragment to be limited by it at both sides, or only at the place of the missing part of the word?

For example, I search "flower" by the fragment "flow". What I must write:

~flow~

or

flow~

I suppose that in any case I have to write ~flow~, right?

Author Team
8-)
#18 | Posted: 27 Sep 2005 11:37 
Yes, write on both sides, won't work if only on one.

Author _Marco
Partaker
#19 | Posted: 27 Sep 2005 16:21 
Team
this was the matter of speed.

That sounds logical, thanks for explaining.

Now I know how it should work, it seems it does.
Team because by fragment it was meant, for example, fragment of the word FROM THE BEGINNING.
I get relults like "options" when searching "option".

When there is a caracter in front, it won't pop-up. This also counts for caracters like ([{.,-/_. That's why I'm missing the url's in my search (like http://option and www.option ).

Maybe that's something to think about. I don't see any other bug with fragments.

_Marco

Author Ivan
Advanced Member
#20 | Posted: 27 Sep 2005 16:56 
I want to inform you that now, without any fixes, my search machine works with fragments without any bug, and in addition - without any "~", and in addition - in Cyrillic!

I only read you, but couldn't remember if I tested it with fragments of words, or not, and tested now.

I only wrote литера, which is the first part of the word литература - "literature". After 5 seconds there was found 51 topics, containing the whole word литература. The same happened with other words in Cyrillic. The same in Latin. I typed esse and received 5 messages Esse'x and essential. I haven't used "~" at all.

I'm sorry, but I cannot say that at me your "bug" exists. There is no bug with the fragments of words. May be you have to check your Windowses :))) I checked the problem with IE and even with Opera - no problem.

Author _Marco
Partaker
#21 | Posted: 27 Sep 2005 17:21 
_Marco
Now I know how it should work, it seems it does.

Ivan
I'm sorry, but I cannot say that at me your "bug" exists. There is no bug with the fragments of words.

I think we agree :-)

Author Team
8-)
#22 | Posted: 27 Sep 2005 17:41 
We haven't fixed anything, it's an old script as it was. ~ thing was invented directly for searching the real fragments (incl. those in URLs and other parts of words). In most cases, search mechanism should work - but we will release search log soon, which will show what people are looking for, maybe it will give some ideas more.

Author Ivan
Advanced Member
#23 | Posted: 27 Sep 2005 18:26 
I still cannot understand. I write only the first part of an English word and the search script finds the word. After that I write only the first part of a Bulgarian word and the search script finds the word. I don't write anything else, no ~, nothing. The search module works fine with parts of words with no additional signs, code etc.

What are these other "real fragments", nevermind in text, in URLs, or elswhere? And what is "search log", please? :)

You understand, I'm only afraid that the good script might become bad from much efforts to improve it :)))

Later:

Yes, after more testing I understood - "~" is needed when the fragment is in the middle of the word, right? Or?

Author _Marco
Partaker
#24 | Posted: 27 Sep 2005 19:22 
Ivan
Yes, after more testing I understood - "~" is needed when the fragment is in the middle of the word, right? Or?

Correct, in the middle or at the end, like the "~option~" -> "adoption" result.

Author Team
8-)
#25 | Posted: 27 Sep 2005 20:22 
_Marco's right. Search log will be as a plugin, won't touch the main core.

Author h4tt3n
Partaker
#26 | Posted: 27 Sep 2005 20:28 
Ivan said:

I still cannot understand. I write only the first part of an English word and the search script finds the word. After that I write only the first part of a Bulgarian word and the search script finds the word.

You understand, I'm only afraid that the good script might become bad from much efforts to improve it :)))

Yes, the search script works fine as long as you use fragments of the left-most part of the word / the beginning of the word.

True fragments all appar if you use ~ before and after.

any you know the saying: "If it aint broke, then don't fix it"

Maby there could be a message in the search table saying (Use ~ before and after true fragments, f.inst. ~shaggydog~ when looking for www.shaggydog.com) or something... ???

regards,
h4tt3n

Author Team
8-)
#27 | Posted: 28 Sep 2005 18:42 
Yes, probably we'll put this kind of message.

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 
Bugs miniBB Support Forums / Bugs /
 Search bug?
 Share Topic's Link

This topic is closed. New replies are not allowed.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Get the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑