®
Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
FAQ miniBB Support Forums / FAQ /  

WHY user needs to be logged in to Unsubscribe from topic

Author davebytes
Partaker
#1 | Posted: 16 Jul 2005 21:54 
First, make it a clear distinct button on the thread being read, possibly at top and button, if you are subscribed.

Second, and possibly the more important one, when getting notification emails, those emails should present a second link after the thread link, something like:

<i>If you would like to unsubscribe from this topic, simply click the following link...</i>

Something like that! Make it REALLY easy for a user to unsubscribe from a topic from the received email -- makes it more 'anti spam' compliant too!

-d

Author luis
Partaker
#2 | Posted: 18 Jul 2005 02:45 
i think thats very easy:

just add the following code to your "templates/email_reply_notify_LNG.txt"

<!--Unsubscribe Link for Mails-->
If you dont want to receive more notifications about this thread, click:
https://www.minibb.com/forums/{$indexphp}action=unsubscribe&topic={$topic}&usrid={$user_ id}
<!--Done-->

enjoy it

Author davebytes
Partaker
#3 | Posted: 21 Jul 2005 23:43 
actually, I was meaning for the minibb forums HERE specifically -- so roll that change into the main code, and adopt it here for the next refresh... ;)

Author Team
8-)
#4 | Posted: 16 Aug 2005 15:43 
The main trouble with the code suggested by luis is that {$user_id} is NOT generated each time the notification is sent. {$k} could be used as user id (as this operation continues in FOREACH statement until ends). In new release, we had an idea to introduce this link officially, but for fastest execution, it would add user ID to the END of the template. So the only condition having this link will be - you MUST have it at the END of the notification message, with no symbols after it and no breakes. In another case, each time we send a notification to user, we need to load up each template separately, which is not really good & fast.

So, we cut this idea off, and the only text for unsubsribe link will be offered, which will say "you need to go here and do that and that for unsubscribing". Remember also, that user needs to be LOGGED IN for doing an unsubscribe operation. I don't think many users will be logged in when clicking this link, so they need to log in first, then to do an unsubscribe.

Finally, I am remembering now, why we have not introduced this option earlier! Welcome to miniBB! :)

Author Moony
Partaker
#5 | Posted: 28 Feb 2006 17:12 
I am not sure if there is unsubscribe link in the email notification letter in the new version of miniBB. If not, it would be great to have it. Otherwise users often cannot understand how to unsubscribe and start to complain. What is worse, is that when there is wrong e-mail and other people start getting replies from the forum. I had this problem twice.

Author Team
8-)
#6 | Posted: 1 Mar 2006 09:59 
It is impossible to provide simple unsubscribe link, 'cause for unsubscribing, user needs to be logged in, i.e. identified. However, we provide detailed instructions in each email notification.

If you want users provide correct email via registration, set $closeRegister in setup_options.php. In the next version, we will work on more careful email processing, so when user changes it in Preferences, he should also confirm it via link provided in confirmation email.

FAQ miniBB Support Forums / FAQ /
 WHY user needs to be logged in to Unsubscribe from topic
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Check out the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑